It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 pm

Tony Levin at Acton Jazz Cafe 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Tony Levin at Acton Jazz Cafe
I'll be seeing Tony Levin at a small place in Acton MA tonight called the Acton Jazz Cafe. This is what he wrote about the event:

“Hi all. I’m looking forward to approaching New Years with NewEARS. I have such strong connections to New England, to Prog music, and to the folks at NewEARS, this event was too tempting for me to miss. Rather than a solo ’show’, I’m thinking it’ll be an informal musical/personal appearance, with me talking a little about upcoming plans for King Crimson and Liquid Tension Experiment and more. I’ll have my Stick, will play some bits from my new CD, and I am sure you’ll have some questions! And if I can sit in with IZZ a bit, that’d be great too.

I was hoping to have December free to prepare some music, but now work is taking me to S. Africa and Moscow in Nov/Dec. The good news is that after 10 days of Russian December, New England will seem warm!"

I've seen Tony perform several times with King Crimson, Anderson Wakeman Bruford and Howe, and The California Guitar Trio so I'm really looking forward to this "personal" encounter. I'm also looking forward to seeing him perform a little solo Stick because as we all know he's known to use it mainly in the bass supporting role.

As a fan and a Stick player I hope to be able to ask him a question or two (I'll have to think up a few questions in advance) and will definitely report to the forum about the event. What a weekend ... I'm seeing Tony up and personal tonight (A Christmas gift from my wife) and I'm playing a big NYE party tomorrow! Sometimes life is good! :-)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Tony Levin at Acton Jazz Cafe
Well friends the show was great. Actually Tony's "set" was more like a story telling/question and answer session. He talked about the probable regrouping of king Crimson and the Electric Tension Experiment for some gigs. He didn't have a "band" with him, he played along to music on his laptop going through the sound system. He played a few songs on bass guitar and one solo Stick song from his new CD but as he explained he always used the Stick as a bass instrument and isn't really a solo player on the Stick so he also played to pre-recorded Stick tracks and mainly played the bass parts live.

He seems like a very pleasant man and was very open and willing to answer our questions. I asked him if he had experience with the NS Stick because being mainly a bass player I would think he could get a lot out of the instrument. He said he really hadn't spent any time with the instrument however he did get his hands on a proto type early on in it's developement. He didn't want to talk "Stick" too much because it wasn't really a STICK gathering however after his "set" he autographed my copy of Stick Man and we talked a little about Sticks. It was awesome having his ear for 5 minutes and talking Sticks. He was definitely into the topic, you could tell he finds the topic interesting ... as we do. Again a very pleasent person to speak with, not at all the unaproachable "star." Of course I got my photo taken with him and will post it as soon as my friend sends it to me!

Oh the back up band was a band called IZZ .... real original prog-rock and totally top shelf! As polished and progressive as any Yes or Genesis. Any of you prog-rock heads do yourself a favor and check them out. I don't think they're "Signed" but they have several disks for sale on their web site. http://www.progressiverockbr.com/izz.htm

After their set Tony came up and played a few Peter G. songs with them and played Elephant talk! They did an awesome job of covering all these tunes.

So there you have it. Even though Tony didn't actually play much I'd highly recommend checking him out if he comes to your part of the world doing this kind of a gig. It was a totally enjoyable evening and again Tony was a very pleasent person to speak with and an interesting person to listen too in regard to answering questions and telling storys.

That is all .........

Tap on!
Ray

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: Tony Levin at Acton Jazz Cafe
Interesting. Thanks for writing this. Good fun.

I had the pleasure to meet Tony this summer during 4 days in England. He is indeed a great person. Couldn´t have been more friendly. Loooong story but it started with that I bought a 20th Anniversary Stingray 5 that he had signed for a benefit auction on eBay. I got a e-mail from him after the auction had ended and he thanked me for bidding. To make a long story short, it ended with back stage passes to the WOMAD festval in Wiltshire, dinner with Tony and Ged Lynch, Gabriels drummer, and a visit to Real World studios among other things. Fantastic days. Good fun and memories for a lifetime. Great person, he is.

Attachment:
jan_ged_tony.jpg

Sincerely//Jan

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:35 pm