It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:50 am

Trevor Stewart in Kansas City 12/4 

Post Trevor Stewart in Kansas City 12/4
Hello,

I don't know if there are any Stickists or Stick enthusiasts in the K.C. area, but if there are (here's the press release)...

CHAPMAN STICK MUSIC TO SERENADE K.C.

"Wow, what do you call that instrument?" is usually the first question Trevor Stewart will get when he performs in public. The oddly-shaped instrument called the Chapman Stick allows him to play the equivelant of two guitars simultaneously. It's sound is produced when the strings are tapped against the frets with both hands instead of strumming or picking as with a regular guitar.

Stewart brings his unique music to Aquarius Books, 3936 Broadway Kansas City, MO on Saturday, December 4th at 12PM and at Coda, 1744 Broadway Street Kansas City, MO 8PM that evening. Admission is free to both events.

Trevor Stewart has been playing the Chapman Stick since 1998. He found out about it by accident when he was researching a guitar he had purchased online. Being the only "Stickist" residing in Kansas he is self taught, but previous study on the guitar, piano and viola led to a quick adaptation on the Stick. Trevor studied viola and music composition and performance at Wichita State University. He performs regularly around his hometown in Wichita.

The Chapman Stick was invented by Emmett Chapman in 1969 in Woodland Hills, CA. It has appeared over the years mainly in rock groups such as King Crimson and with Peter Gabriel. A modified version of it made an appearance in the movie 'Dune'. "With so much sound and possibility with the Stick everyone wants to hear different things." exclaims Stewart "I found out early on that I had to learn classical, jazz, bluegrass and pop as well as creating my own music. Keeping the music eclectic really seems to reach a wider audience."

Eclecticism is also a theme with his group Earthlines which consists of a Native American flute, steel drums and percussion. The group earned a standing ovation for their performance at the celebrated Walnut Valley Festival in 2009 and 2010. Bill Tammeus, former faith columnist for the Kansas City Star who was in the audience likened the music to baptism water.

Their new debut album together titled "Dreamwalking" is the soundtrack to a documentary titled ‘Return to PrairyErth‘ stars New York Times bestselling author William Least Heat-Moon. The film aired on public television this fall.

Aside from scoring films Trevor’s own music has been heard on the nationally syndicated 'Echoes' and "Hearts of Space' programs on N.P.R. and is heard frequently on 'Night Tides' 89.3 KCUR in Kansas City.

"For me, music is about playing from the heart and that always seems to connect with people in a positive way" says Stewart "A good performance is when the audience leaves happier than when they arrived".

To hear Trevor's music on the Chapman Stick visit http://www.myspace.com/trevorstewart

I hope you can make it out.

Thanks,

Trev

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 pm