It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 pm

L. A. Stick Night concert 9/24 w/Bob, Don and Emmett 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post L. A. Stick Night concert 9/24 w/Bob, Don and Emmett

more details: http://www.stick.com/events/Marriott/

Have fun guys!

Last edited by greg on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: L. A. Stick Night concert 9/24 w/Bob, Don and Emmett
Can you make this not 21+ pleas? :cry:

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wish I could be there :cry: Listening and watching them performing live on stage would be a thrill for sure. And beside that I would like to have a chat about this and that... ;)

Well, have fun, all the best and as we say in Germany "Toi, Toi, Toi!"

Cheers

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler" AlbertEinstein

10 String Rosewood (Stickup)
12 String Rosewood (PASV-4)
Classic Tuning (Medium Gauge)
2 Avalon U5
2 DBX 160A
Lexicon MPX1

Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi folks,

There's been a great response for this event so far, so it's being moved into a bigger space. The Stick Night will be in the "Hidden Hills" Room instead of the "Pearls" room. Also, previous info suggested that free parking is available in the mall across Oxnard Street, but this is apparently a no-no so best to park in the Hotel parking lot.

Wish I could be there....

Oh and Don has posted a commercial for the show on his YouTube page featuring the inimitable Jackie Chin...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhydENA6A5Q[/youtube]

That's all folks!

Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

We had a memorable Friday "Stick Night" at the Woodland Hills Marriott. The room was well attended with an amalgamation of Stick players, Diana's yoga and meditation students, our neighbors, also local suppliers of goods and services, all combined on my concert list.

Bob didn't bring his AcouStick model but managed to play "acoustically" all evening on his Grand Stick, masterfully communicating his personal dynamics in classical, Celtic and flamenco styles. It was almost like attending a classical guitar recital.

Don went the other way, looping, mixing in sonic textures, then bringing in distorted lead lines over the top. His bass lines always amaze me - a large piece of the "American pie". His vocals have become more subtle and versatile, I notice. And then there he was again, talking to his electronic machines, this time only gently coaxing them into compliance - lots of laughs from the audience.

And me, I finally had my act together, bringing off my newest sub-techniques with some authority, improvising a nice flow of musical ideas between thematic arrangements and plugged straight through my own amp in mono with no processing. The room reverb was enough.

Diana was the fourth performer on stage and shaped the evening with colorful and loving Stick history, introducing each of us in round robin fashion with observations, characterizations and stories old and new.

We played mostly through my Bose "PAS" (personal amplification system), which I call "the smokin' stack". The sound was pristine and filled the large room, at least powerful enough for our solos and an occasional duo, even a trio toward the end.

I also tried out my new LED spotlights, hoisted high on mike stands, but didn't have time to learn how to automatically shift colors, and so the magenta and blue LEDs bathed us in bright purple all night. The half dimmed room lights helped give the stage a more natural look, however.

My gratitude to Bob, Don and Diana for making it a great night for all of us. Best, Emmett.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:22 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Please tell me this was recorded/filmed.

Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:36 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I was there but mainly as an observer. I was testing out a new camera and Bob recorded some audio, but it wasn't really covered too well this time. I was pissed that the battery on my "borrowed" camera crapped out before I could shoot Emmett playing his last tune... a truly amazing performance. Only the "faithful" who stayed were fortunate to witness it.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:55 pm