It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Who is in the Massachusetts/NH area? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Who is in the Massachusetts/NH area?
I know Ray and Kris are around there, I grew up in northern Mass (near Haverhill, Newburyport, etc) and tend to "go home" 2 or 3 times a year to visit family. I also lived in the Dover/Rochester/Portsmouth NH area for 4 years after college.

Since I've caught the performing bug I though it would be fun to hit an open mic next time I'm around and maybe get together with other Stick related folks... any suggestions for good places? Anyone up for some type of casual meeting? I get bored interacting with Greg Howard all the time here in Virginia. ;)

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Who is in the Massachusetts/NH area?
Hi Rob,
This is slightly far a field but the possibility for a Stickist gig network exists and could be set up.
Something less formal than seminars but Stick focused or even just communicating about
where amenable places to play might be.
The land is vast opportunities wide. :lol: Only half kidding. :| :arrow:

There is technology as you know, where we can look at a satellite image from above of the whole country. Travel networks could easily be drawn. You could even see the rooftops
of the places you wanted to play and program you car to direct you there. :geek:

Kind of fascinating :idea: And a huge idea but if enough Stick players made maps
at least all of the metropolitan areas would be connected and a gig data base
would exist so if you went to Phoenix there would be a path to a performance
space...I think I have been hitting on Don's coffee straw again :D

Best to you. I really respect you for putting yourself out there...
JRJ

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:35 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

JRJ wrote:
Hi Rob,
This is slightly far a field but the possibility for a Stickist gig network exists and could be set up.
Something less formal than seminars but Stick focused or even just communicating about
where amenable places to play might be.
The land is vast opportunities wide. :lol: Only half kidding. :| :arrow:

There is technology as you know, where we can look at a satellite image from above of the whole country. Travel networks could easily be drawn. You could even see the rooftops
of the places you wanted to play and program you car to direct you there. :geek:

Kind of fascinating :idea: And a huge idea but if enough Stick players made maps
at least all of the metropolitan areas would be connected and a gig data base
would exist so if you went to Phoenix there would be a path to a performance
space...I think I have been hitting on Don's coffee straw again :D

Best to you. I really respect you for putting yourself out there...
JRJ

JRJ that's quite the idea! Actually if forum members simply add the address of where they've played or have done open mic nights as Stick players on the Venue section that will give options to others in their area.

Rob I don't know off hand any venues in MA or NH for solo Stick or open mic simply because I haven't done any research. But as you know there are a million small bars and coffee houses in the bigger citys. Personally I've been a gigging bass player (also playing limited Stick) in a band for years but I think my band is going to be ending by November. (we're book fairly solid until then) And when it does my intention is HOPEFULLY have enough Stick (and NS Stick) music together to do some solo work. And I WILL find those open mic places and get some solo experience before shopping myself around. When I get information about open mic nights in my area I'll make sure to post the venues. And if you come around MA or NH and have time let me know. Perhaps I can find an open mic venue before your visit and we can meet there and make some noise? ;)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Great idea Rob, when you're planning to come back to the area definitely drop me an email, I'd love to get together for a Newcastle or two and talk/play Stick. There are a couple of small coffee houses near me, the Lake Sunapee region, that have an open mic night. There are also a couple in the Hanover/Dartmouth College area, just north of me. I don't know what's in southern NH, but I imagine that there must be some places in Manchester, and also in your old stomping ground on the coast (Dover/Portsmouth/Durham). I'll do some looking around and get back to you on that.

Kris

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Rob
I play an outdoor fest in NH every August. If your around I think it would be fun to play together.

Let me Know

Brett

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Where is this Brett?

Kris

Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Kris its a very large private party in Grafton it will usually swell to over 300 people and its a blast unfortunately its by invite only.

Brett

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery