It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:11 am

1st Post 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post 1st Post
Ok guys and gals, I’m a long time member but this is the first post. I guess I’m one of those people who just likes to see/read what’s going on and I know a lot of others who are similar. Basically, I figured, since I had nothing to really contribute, why clog up the page.
Anyway, some people that I admire very much, suggested that if I was interested in sharing my music, I should at least let people know I’m out there. DUH

So here goes. My name is Burnis Heard.
I come from a long time (20+ yrs off and on) guitar and (4+ yrs Bass) background. I was introduced to the Stick Enterprise website by a friend when I complained about the need to hear/play both bass and rhythm at the same time.
I have to admit that the only reason I pursued an interest in SE was because of the videos Greg made about how the Stick works. I also have to admit that tapping was not my main interest but I thought it was pretty cool. Ahhh, but then entered, the NS/Stick. Something I could immediately transfer my style of playing to.
I got my NS/Stick in 2004 and immediately contacted Don Schiff. Don, as busy as he was, graciously invited me to his home for lessons. Little did he know at the time that he took on a commitment of seeing me every other month for about a year. Sorry about that Don. (Note to the interested: Even though you’re treated like family at Don’s place, it always helps to bring Don donuts, Cynthia, his gracious wife, flowers and his dogs, a few treats.)

Now, don’t get me wrong, I already knew how to play, I just didn’t know how to play the NS/Stick with all of the various techniques that can be applied. I needed to learn those techniques and who better to get them from than Don? After several lessons, I got the nerve up to do an Open Mic. This Open Mic just happened to coincide with the 2005 SoCal Stick Seminar. This was by far the scariest and most humbling thing I’d put myself through with a new instrument. Just me, my NS/Stick, and my looping equipment. I’d literally sweat through the first song. And I do mean sweat was literally dripping off of me while I played. Fortunately, the crowd was very appreciative which helped me to continue on with my other songs. By the way guys, (for those who were there), what ever happened to the seminar pictures we took? I mean, we had great teachers in Greg, Tom, Don and Emmett as well as a lot of great students participating. I just don’t recall seeing any pictures.

A week or so after the seminar, I got a virtual lesson (that is, tips by e-mail, on what I should work on) with Greg, A lesson with Tom Griesgraber and back to Don’s.
People, if you get the opportunity to sit down with someone to enhance your technique, DO IT! Your style is yours but learn as many techniques as you need to enhance your style. I’ll never play like anyone of the teachers I’ve learned from, don’t want to either, but if the technique they teach helps me with my style, I’m doing it.

Anyway, I’ve recently relocated to the Denver, CO. area and am playing the Open Mic circuit out here. I’m also getting the final touches on a CD.
That’s about it. You probably won’t here from me for another few years, but I at least got this one out.

Thanks to all who teach, contribute and play.

Burnis

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 1st Post
Great first post! Welcome to the forum. Now I'm really looking forward to hearing and maybe seeing your music.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: 1st Post
it might be your first post, but you have more seniority than a lot of us. Welcome.

-Curtis

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:27 pm