It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 FretBoard iPhone software for Chapman Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: FretBoard iPhone software for Chapman Stick
Here is my christmas & new years present for some of the "iHip" people in this forum. ;-) I give away 10 free promo codes of FretBoard!

FretBoard is unser active development again, so we are working on a major new version that will hopefully be released in the first half of 2013. Maybe you have ideas what you want to see implemented. I have always an open ear for such things... ;-)

Following is the link where you can redeem your free promo code. In return please give me a nice ranking in the app store and post a short review. And be quick, there are only 10 codes at all...
http://appcod.es/fretboard-visualize-chords-scales

A happy new year to the whole Stick community!

Best,
Marc

Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Marc,

The app is very handy. Since you're looking for suggestions, here are a few things that I would find useful:

- The ability to edit and save custom chords and scales.
- Having the note bar in landscape mode, or otherwise being able to choose/edit what you see in landscape view. Also, a button to change between note name and scale position once in landscape mode, rather than turning the device upside down. I guess it might be nice to be able to easily choose what you're seeing in any view - note bar and shape, note letter name, or scale position, as well as which note, chord, or scale.
- Making it available for iPad, this would offer a lot more space to lay things out.

Also, I'm not sure if maybe I've missed some setting or option, is there any way to see up further than the 15th fret? Being able to see the entire Stick fretboard or being able to scroll through it would be great.

For reference, I'm currently using v1.9, running on an iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1.
-Claire

Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:12 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Claire,

thanks for taking the time to make this great list of suggestions. For my comments see below:

Claire wrote:
- The ability to edit and save custom chords and scales.

Agreed, this might be a nice feature, although it might be interesting to know which custom scales you use. FretBoard contains so many scales from every musical culture of this worls, what is missing..?

Claire wrote:
- Having the note bar in landscape mode, or otherwise being able to choose/edit what you see in landscape view. Also, a button to change between note name and scale position once in landscape mode, rather than turning the device upside down. I guess it might be nice to be able to easily choose what you're seeing in any view - note bar and shape, note letter name, or scale position, as well as which note, chord, or scale.

Yes, the next version will be orientation dependent, so you will see the same information and have the same controls in landscape and portrait mode. This of course makes it necessary to have a control for the display type (note name, scale position etc...)

Claire wrote:
- Making it available for iPad, this would offer a lot more space to lay things out.

This is why we currently rewrite the complete graphics engine of FretBoard. We want to have it easily portable to iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, and whatever hardware Apple will bring up in the future. So yes, FretBoard 2 will definitely run native on all of these screen sizes.

Claire wrote:
Also, I'm not sure if maybe I've missed some setting or option, is there any way to see up further than the 15th fret? Being able to see the entire Stick fretboard or being able to scroll through it would be great.

Currently you can not view the frets above #15. The new graphic engine will allow scrolling up and down the neck, and maybe also allow zooming in or out, so you can get the overvies or the detail as you like...

Thanks again for the comments!

Best,
Marc

Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I have been running the Fretboard app on my iPad for a while now. Very nice. There are only two things that bug me. There does not appear to be a way to set the default instrument. I seem to have to choose Chapman stick each time I open the app. Second, is that it would be really swell if you could touch a position on the fretboard and have the app feed back the note and sound of that position (I realize that is a big ask for so many instruments).

But, great app overall.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Marc,

Thanks for all the info, looks like all you'll be implementing a bunch of stuff in the next rev.

For saving, I was mostly thinking chords. I'm still fairly new to the Stick so for learning, it would be great to be able to enter in what I'm playing (via notes) and then be able to save that for later use. Thinking through it now, it might be nice to be able to save groups of chords to easily recall. Not sure how that could work. For scales, I sometimes experiment with Indian scales/ragas, haven't yet had a chance to do that with Stick too much. The app has a few and some could be adapted from some of the custom modes.

-Claire

Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Marty6126 wrote:
There does not appear to be a way to set the default instrument. I seem to have to choose Chapman stick each time I open the app.

Marty, if you use the free version FretBoard LE, this is a limitation of the free version. The full version saves the last selected instrument and the last selected chord/scale/note state. Anyway there was a bug in v1.8 where this did not work, but it is fixed with the latest version 1.9, so you simply might want to update...

Marty6126 wrote:
Second, is that it would be really swell if you could touch a position on the fretboard and have the app feed back the note and sound of that position (I realize that is a big ask for so many instruments).

It is not such a big thing as you think and it is on my wish list for version 2.0, too. It did not made sense to me on a small iPhone screen, but on the iPad it would definitely be a nice thing to have.

Claire wrote:
For saving, I was mostly thinking chords. I'm still fairly new to the Stick so for learning, it would be great to be able to enter in what I'm playing (via notes) and then be able to save that for later use. Thinking through it now, it might be nice to be able to save groups of chords to easily recall. Not sure how that could work.

Claire, this is on my list for a later version. I do not think it will be in 2.0, but something like this will come. I always had the practicing and reference tool in mind when changing something on FretBoard. And I always see myself switching between three or four chords and scales of a song, so I also like to have the option to save a list of chords (maybe along with suiting scales) and go through the list with a one finger gesture. Maybe it would also be nice to "blend" from one chord/scale to another, to see which notes remain the same and what changes. But as I said before, this feature will take a while...

Thanks again you both for the feedback. By the way, it would help me a lot if you rate FretBoard in the app store or even write a short review.

And here is the call for all other fellow forum members: If you have ideas that would make this software better for your daily practicing routine, please let me know...

Best,
Marc

Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Marc,

Updating to 1.9 fixed my problem. Thanks.

Also, just thought of another nice feature. On the note fretboard, it would be nice to have the root notes, now marked in red, colour coded for octave, or some other indication of octave. (Would speed transposing sheet music to stick).

Cheers,
Marty

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Marty6126 wrote:
On the note fretboard, it would be nice to have the root notes, now marked in red, colour coded for octave, or some other indication of octave. (Would speed transposing sheet music to stick.

Marty, this is already planned. There will be an option to show the Octave on the dot, using the scientific pitch notation, which means that the middle C is displayed as C4. Maybe we will also support the Helmholtz pitch notation where the middle C is displayed as c'.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Cheers!
Finding it helpful :)

Ironwood #1136
https://www.facebook.com/05Ric
http://www.05ric.co.uk/05Ric___The_official_website_of_05Ric/HOME.html

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Can U print without just screenshotting it? Tha'd be sick. And you need the stick tone samples bro! What up with that huh ? Oh, I got the full app. Cheers

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next