It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 am

Hey I need some help deciding what kind of stickto get. 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Hey I need some help deciding what kind of stickto get.
The 8-string is a fine instrument for sure. But you have to realize that it's most common usage is as a bass instrument tuned in straight 4ths. So while this might seem easier coming from bass, you won't be getting experience playing the overlapped bass/melody split that the 10 and 12 string models present. Of course, you could get an 8-string split and tuned in this fashion (4+4) but then you might as well make the leap.

As far as 10 and 12 goes, an important thing to understand is that a 10-string is a subset of a 12-string so, in my opinion, it is no harder to learn. For example, you could get a Classic tuned 12-sting, buy Greg's "The Stick Book, Volume 1" for either Classic 10 or Baritone Melody, and simply ignore two strings. There are some slight physical differences. The string spacing is slightly smaller on a 12 and the neck is slightly wider so this might be an issue if your fingers are short, stubby or both.

They're all fine instruments though. Some very very good players out there believe that the 10 provides all the range they need. One of those players goes by the name of Emmett Chapman. There are also some very good players who have decided to opt for the extended bass 8-string tuned in 4ths like Don Schiff and Gary Jibilian.

Personally, my advice is this. Don't make a choice based on what will be easiest for you as a guitarist or bassist. Make a choice based on whether you want to extend your guitar and/or bass playing or whether you want to start down a whole new way of making music.

Either choice is viable but if you choose based on easiest you might be selling yourself short.

Glenn

Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Any Stick is a great instrument. Since you want to go with traditional Stick and probably a 10 string the next question is how to get it, what can you afford and how long are you willing to wait? Current wait time for new Sticks can be as long as 14 months so many people turn to used on e-bay. IF you decide on used be careful not to pay over list price of a new instrument. There are used Sticks on e-bay being auctioned for over the cost of a new one very often so be careful. Used Sticks are still usually wonderful instruments however do you really want to pay for a new Stick and get a used one?

If you do find a fair deal on a used Stick I wouldn't be too concerned if it's an older model. (As long as the price is reasonable) Old Sticks are still wonderful instruments and if it needs adjustment or a truss rod installed you can send it back to SE and they'll make it as good as or better then it was when it was new.

There are a few articles on Stick.com about purchasing a Stick. I suggest reading those and of course ask questions on the forum. And if you decide to buy used for your 1st Stick I wouldn't be too concerned about what pickup it has. Once you really get into playing you can always order a new one set up the way you want once you really KNOW what you want. My Stick has the original Stickup pickup and i love it. It has THAT STICK sound. And that's the pickup you'll find on most older used Sticks.

Anyway you're off to a good start finding this forum. Keep asking questions and do all the reading about the instrument you can. Read EVERYTHING on Stick.com and as i mentioned check out the videos available on the web. I find them a wonderful resource for learning and inspiration.

Good luck

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:02 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well i can definately purchase a new stick and i'd gladdly be willing to wait for it to come, in the mean time I can continue reading up on it and play my bass. The onlything left is does it really matter what guage strings i put on or is it just preference and would free hands by Emmet be a good book to start with?

Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:56 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Shabs wrote:
Well i can definately purchase a new stick and i'd gladdly be willing to wait for it to come, in the mean time I can continue reading up on it and play my bass. The onlything left is does it really matter what guage strings i put on or is it just preference and would free hands by Emmet be a good book to start with?

Free hands would be a great book to start with. All the books offered by SE are great resourses. In regard to string guage ... ask them for their recommendation when you order your Stick. They're very helpful and know their stuff!

One thing you may want to try since you're obviously going to order and wait for a new Stick is if you have an old bass you don't use kicking around try reversing the strings and tuning them to inverted 5ths. It's not easy to actually TUNE them to a specific pitch (440) however you can get some type of string relationship in 5ths with the E or B string tuned VERY low. It's an interesting experiment! Doesn't give you the STICK experience however it CAN help you start getting your mind around inverted 5ths bass tuning. It's the inverted 5ths tuning that throws many bass players off at 1st ... but on the Stick it's a big part of the MAGIC!

Anyway good luck ... if you're ordering a new Stick I'd call and get the ball rolling soon. They won't ask for money until the build starts and you can call and change your order often ... I'm SURE they're use to that!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jpw542 wrote:
I'm in a little bit of the same boat though I've done quite a bit of research at this point. Trying to figure out how you want to use the stick may help you decide----styles of music, group size, solo? etc. That helped me decide string configuration and tuning. Some of the rest seems to be personal preference such as Passive/active, type of wood, accessories. I made a similar post a little while back and a lot of people had good suggestions. I think the headline is First Time Buyer in Search of Opinions (hopefully this link will work):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141

The people on this forum are really nice and helpful so I'm sure that involving yourself here a little more will help you make a decision. I'd recommend finding videos on you tube to study too. Try starting here:

http://www.youtube.com/gregplaysthestick

All the best!

---Jon

Hi Jon and Shabs,

Shabs, If you think you are going to be a bass player primarily, then I think the Dual Bass Reciprocal tuning is worth considering:

http://www.stick.com/articles/howard_dbr/

And Jon, thanks for the recommendation about the videos. If you want to see several different playing styles and tunings in action, check the favorites shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/stickplayers

Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Jon and Shabs; regarding Greg's post, I have a 12 string Grand soon coming tuned DBR. You'll be hearing alot from me once I get it. And the tuning is the LAST thing you need to finalize before delivery (other than how to pay for it!) so you'll have alot of time to mull things over.
Welcome to the Club!

Marty

Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:04 am

Well i just wanna say thanks to everyone who helped me in choosing the right stick. Yo all were very helpful.

Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:53 pm