It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 pm

Quote about The Stick 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Quote about The Stick
Captain Strings wrote:
This is intimidating. Diabolical one might say. Stick? Not so much.

a lot more intimidating than Stick.

Wed May 17, 2023 10:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have to agree with Glenn. Personally I’ve found it – by far – one of the easiest instrument I’ve ever learned to play. As with any instrument it takes a lot of practice to become competent with it. But most instruments (as Glenn points out) have a technique to playing that can present a difficult barrier for the beginner. Not so with the Stick IME. Watch a few of Greg’s videos on technique and you’re making pretty decent musical noises. This is very encouraging to a noob.

Piano and bass share this quality IMO. Guitar, drums, brass & reed instruments, fretless bowed instruments all require considerable effort and practice just to accurately form notes.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Mon May 22, 2023 8:37 am

Lee Vatip wrote:
Sentence from an online story concerning Tony Levin....

"Levin also plays the Chapman Stick, the most intimidating musical instrument ever devised,"...."

Illusion or reality?

Steve A

I'm sure I'll find out and let you guys know; as soon as I get a set of strings on my new (to me) Poly 10-string!LOL

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Mon May 22, 2023 1:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

SteveS wrote:
I have to agree with Glenn. Personally I’ve found it – by far – one of the easiest instrument I’ve ever learned to play. As with any instrument it takes a lot of practice to become competent with it. But most instruments (as Glenn points out) have a technique to playing that can present a difficult barrier for the beginner.

That all makes perfect sense to me, however 'intimidating' in this statement isn't about the experience of people who have got as far as holding an instument, or even as far as doing some study and finding out what those who have instruments think & feel, it's about perception before experience.

i.e. The potential for the instrument to appear intimidating is in the mind of the naive beholder.

For a lot of people it 'looks' complicated - lots of strings that produce different notes when touched in different places by one of two hands.

Whether or not that is considered 'intimidating' is a matter of perception. Those who consider it so might well think just the same of a piano, harp, violin, clarinet. 'Ranking' the relative intimidation of each instrument would be just guesswork.

Essentially, those who have got so far as to be posting on this forum are probably those least qualified to answer the question. LOL!

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Tue May 23, 2023 2:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
however 'intimidating' in this statement isn't about the experience of people who have got as far as holding an instument, or even as far as doing some study and finding out what those who have instruments think & feel, it's about perception before experience…Essentially, those who have got so far as to be posting on this forum are probably those least qualified to answer the question. LOL!

And David swoops in with the correct analysis! :lol:

I recall finding it intimidating until I learned more about the tuning, and said “I can do this.” But that was coming from years of experience with a fretted stringed instrument. The average person doesn’t have that frame of reference.

Rosewood #1027 Baritone Melody, StickUps
Blue Railboard #7228 Matched Reciprocal, EMG block

Tue May 23, 2023 7:31 am