It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 am

GREG MY DEAR FRIEND AND MENTOR-DBRO 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post GREG MY DEAR FRIEND AND MENTOR-DBRO
It is with a deep heart that I write this post. Greg was my dear friend and mentor. I got my first Stick in 1989, formed a band “Stick Around”, conversed back and forth with Emmett, and got “distracted” back to guitar and keyboards and producing Artists and getting airplay. So I needed a recharge on the Stick. We met at Ann Arbor in 2000 and kept “bumping into each other” 3x within a month a half-including The “Lift” tour and a solo performance. I kept going to Ann Arbor and eventually to Charlottesville taking seminars and clinics by Greg.

He offered a select seminar to be certified as a teacher. I attended and passed a very rigorous session as only Greg could set forth for those who knew him well. He gave me a glowing commendation and recommendation as a teacher of the Stick here on Stickist. After that, we would host seminars together and perform on the same stages especially the 2006 First Annual Stickfest in Ann Arbor. I was honored when Greg asked me to be a guest instructor and performer at his innovative immersive “Stick Camp” in Auberle Virginia. Another honor was getting credit in a foreword for ideas for the creation of “Stick TAB” ™ at a Master Class with Emmett at Interlochen. I was also asked to edit his Baritone Melody book of his original songs.
When I received a text on Easter Sunday that Greg was in Hospice, I thought someone hacked FB. Then two more came in from across countries and great distances. I was devastated. I reached out directly and Greg called me at 7:47 am the next morning. We reminisced. I told him his (form of) teaching flowed through my fingers and brain every time I play. I asked if there was anything I could do he replied “keep my music alive”. I was playing a Stick gig Saturday night when we received the news. I performed part of “Charmed Life” and I swear I played more inspired than ever and was being “helped to notes”.
Greg leaves behind an amazing legacy and a wealth of instructional materials. From his seminal “Stick Figures” which he once told me took 500 hours because all the songs were played “live” direct into a DAT machine with NO overdubs, to the Latin inspired SOL, the out of print “Shapes”, colab with Tim Reynolds, Water on the Moon, Lift, Azul, the Holly and the Ivy Holiday Songs, and the benefit album for his friend, Paul Koors – yes that’s a Stick on there and Greg’s vocals! Written instructional materials include his Stick Book with CDs, his own Songbook, which transcends his own music that teaches technique and a wealth of information on how Greg actually played the music using Stick Tab ™, the Bach Book and his instructional DVD. He invented the sexy Baritone tuning for solo playing and chord comping. He was an innovative force behind The Stick Amp, the Floor PreAmp and I am sure had input into the Railboard. He was very private and humble about his contributions. He was successful in getting the Stick as a performance instrument at his Alumni University of Virginia. At many of the seminars, he often unselfishly made no recompense just to help us and get the word out about Emmett’s wonderful instrument. He always gave of himself and his time. His focus was razor sharp constantly improving his method and technique. I saw it evolve over the past 23 years and it all made sense.
Greg will leave a void and there will be no one like him again. He devoted his life and efforts to make the Stick a household name and to show its potential as an instrument. His playing and creativity set a high bar to be aspired to and to know it can be done.

As I told him, I would honor his method and technique every time I teach. Greg had a lot to offer and I will carry on his work, his techniques of playing and his devotion and tradition via my SKYPE lessons.
You can honor Emmett and Greg, by getting out and playing, even just a couple songs at an open stage, and having people see and hear this wonderful instrument.
Greg will truly be missed but never forgotten.
-30-
Dave Brosky "DBro"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by dbrosky on Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: GREG MY DEAR FRIEND AND MENTOR-DBRO
Beautiful Dave…. I’m still struggling in writing about Greg….. thanks for this my friend.

Brett

Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

TRUTH!

Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:14 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Beautiful tribute Dave, thanks for sharing this with everyone. Still shocked and saddened by the news. Since the weekend, I've been learning how to play Charmed Life. A song that almost singlehandedly inspired me to take up the instrument. Greg was truly one of a kind. Much love..

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:21 pm