It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:52 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Greg Howard (1964-2023) 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Greg Howard (1964-2023)
My condolences. Greg was a wonderful person and mentor. His passing is a real shock. He is and will be missed.

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:08 pm

I am so shocked to hear Greg is gone. Such a fine person and tremendous teacher and player. He will be missed. My thoughts are with his family. Rest in peace, Greg. Thank you so much for everything you did for me and all the stick players.
Peter

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:27 pm

Reading the news from Glenn about Greg's passing today made me very sad…as I spoke to him less than two weeks ago, and was planning on visiting him to say goodbye. I will miss him dearly, as will many of us in the Stick community, of course. Although I was never active here on this forum (thank you, Glenn!), I wanted to share these few words with you all. Greg's original release of Stick Figures gave me inspiration and direction when I first picked up the Stick in the mid-90s.

We became friends during the 1998 Las Vegas Stick seminar, and seeing him perform at the outdoor venue I had picked for the closing concert of that seminar was an experience I will never forget. Greg was incredibly passionate about the instrument, and had deep knowledge about achieving a great tone. He remains to this day my favorite solo Stick performer, having developed such a wonderful tone and phrasing, along with writing such delightful pieces, like Morning Song, and my favourite of that same album, Adrift.

Rest in peace, my friend. You will be greatly missed.

Jean-Francois (“J.F.”) Brissette, Las Vegas.

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

My deepest condolences. Greg was my mentor and dear friend. He was always supportive of my teaching and ideas. We did many seminars together. A true honor was when he asked if I could be a guest teacher at the immersive Stick Camp in Virginia. A large hole will be felt in the “Ether Ore”. Our last conversation I asked what I could do- he said “just keep my music playing”. I played part of “Charmed Life” at my Stick Gig tonight. His contributions to the Stick Community are immense and far reaching. Please try to remember the times he made you smile or inspired your playing.”DBro”

Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I feel completely empty. It's hard to put into words what Greg meant to me.

Over 20 yrs ago I was visiting the Stick booth at the NAMM show and was playing one of the instruments displayed at the booth when Greg introduced himself, asked me my name and invited me to play a show later that day with the other Stick players.

I was excited, overwhelmed and terrified - I had never played Stick publicly before and this would be my coming out performance.
Over the last two+ decades I have been honored to call Greg a mentor and more importantly a friend. Greg always guided and encouraged me to find my own voice with the Stick. He continuously challenged me to push myself beyond my comfort zone and beyond the limits of what I believed was possible.
There is a hole in my heart and my spirit but I am grateful to have known the humble virtuoso that is Greg Howard.

My deepest condolences to the Howard family.

Greg, I love you to the core of my soul and I miss you already.
Thank you for your time and your music my brother.
Thank you for what you gave to the Stick community.
Thank you for what you gave to this world.

Last edited by kevink on Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Since I picked up my first Stick in the late 1990’s Greg was that constant presence, a reminder of how amazing this instrument can sound. I am saddened to hear of his passing. The world is a smaller less vibrant place without him and we are poorer because he is gone. My condolences to his family. His memory will live on in the lives of those he inspired to give the Stick a go.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:39 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sad news. Godspeed...

Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:09 am

Very sad and unexpected news. I am not often on here, but have had a lesson with Greg to ensure I was starting right and was intending to carry on with that later - I guess we should never put off and assume.

This is a big loss to the community, RIP.

Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:23 am

My heart goes out to Gregs family, and to those who knew Greg better than I did. His music calmed the soul and was such a gift. His kindness, patience, and knowledge during lessons I will carry with me for the rest of my life. This news makes me very, very sad indeed. Thank you so much Greg for teaching me Stick.

Railboard #7205 MR

Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:58 am

Never thought that my first 2 posts in this forum would be about Greg in a manner that is affecting me so much.

At this moment, i still dont have any Stick/TouchStyle instrument, but from the first time i heard the Stick in "Elephant Talk" from King Crimson, i was curious to search about the instrument. Beside Tony Levin, a average searcher would also see the names of Emmett Chapman and Greg Howard when searching the Chapman Stick.

And when i discovered Greg, i saw a amazing musician with uncomparable educational repertoire and discography, with a orientarion like a great light for all the Chapman Stick players/admirers. A truly amazing person.

At the same time he will be missed, he will be forever remembered in the Stick community as one of the greatest.

Rest in Peace, Greg.

https://sites.google.com/view/sean-barbosa-composer/

Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next