It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Greg Howard (1964-2023) 

Post Re: Greg Howard (1964-2023)
My deepest condolences and respect to Greg's family. So sorry for the late addition to this thread in memory of Greg, I have been helping with sick family since February and did not hear the sad news and only found out when going to the Stick Enterprises site today! I am almost speechless but know I have to convey what Greg meant to me - since first meeting him in person at the 2001 Kamloops Stick Seminar (and 5 other Stick seminar's) - he has been a teacher, a mentor and an inspiration . He has impacted the way I play and write music on the Chapman Stick GREATLY. His demeanour when offering (needed) constructive criticism was SPOT ON! Greg would listen closely to my song, tell me what he appreciated about it, then made a suggestion about a section or two AND I still play those section's the way he suggested to this day!
Thank You Greg for ALL you have done for me and this incredible community of musician's.
Our loss is the Universe's (and God's) gain as his soul has passed upwards to the next level of Life. Happy Tapping Greg. Will never forget YOU.

Mon May 29, 2023 8:26 pm

First of all, I am saddened to hear of Greg's passing, and my sincerest condolences to the Howard Family. Having just gotten into "Stickdom" as it were, I had just discovered his YouTube videos recently (specifically, his very detailed and awesome tutorials!).

Of note, I actually received the news on the same day that Greg fly away from here that I'd be getting my 10-string polycarbonate the following Monday! While I am a spiritual guy, some thing's simply do NOT feel like a coincidence in life.

So imagine my surprise after learning of this sad news that I happened to be watching a video of his where he states that the first poly 10-string he bought was serial number 2757; mine is 2758. Again, NOT a coincidence...

I guess in the great scheme of things, with the legacy he left us (even if only in the heart of this newbie to this instrument) is deeply mirrored in the saying, "when God closes a door, he always opens a window."

I'm hoping that since I've been given a chance to glance through a very small window, I can make good and simply honour his legacy of "Happy Tapping" as I learn and grow as best as I can on the instrument!

Basscapes - 1989 Polycarbonate 10-String, Stickup, non-truss, sn#2758.

Wed May 31, 2023 5:58 am

Rest in peace, Greg! Thank you for sharing your unbelievable talents and your energy!

10 String Railboard (#6434 from 2015) with Villex R-Block
Amp for Melody: Fender Mustag GTX50
Amp for Bass: Fender Rumble Studio 40

Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:01 pm

I haven't been on Stick-related sites very recently so I just belatedly heard this sad news.

As a Stick enthusiast myself, I knew who Greg was long before I met him at a Stick Seminar in Charlottesville in 2004. He was not only a gifted and patient teacher, but just a very kind and gentle soul, a seeming rarity in this world nowadays. Watching him perform at the Gravity Lounge and just basking in his deep musical knowledge was a wonderful privilege.

Everyone knows he was a tremendous musician, a fantastic ambassador for The Stick, and fierce supporter / encourager of the Stick community. While it is some solace that he will live on forever through the legacy of his music, his books, his videos, and his many students, this is a hard loss.

Our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

--Marc Chambers and family

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:58 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow. I'm floored. I don't have a deep background with Greg and only met him at two Stick seminars in C'ville. I never ended up buying a Stick, but Greg let me borrow his 10 string Grand for the seminar. I sucked at it and stuck with bass, but Greg was one of the really good people you meet in life. And I'm not saying that because you're supposed to when someone passes. My favorite video of his is a 15 year old performance of "All Blues". The video quality sucks, but the musicianship shines through. RIP Greg, you made an impact.

phpBB [video]

Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6