It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 4:59 am

How Would You Hook Up a Chapman Stick to an Amp or Computer? 

Post How Would You Hook Up a Chapman Stick to an Amp or Computer?
I’ve recently been interested in the Chapman Stick after seeing Tony Levin use it with King Crimson and Liquid Tension Experiment. My main question is how does it hook up to an amp? Is it the same as any guitar and bass or is there a different way since I’ve seen people hook up two different amps for the low and high end strings respectfully. I apologize if I sound ignorant about the stick, I’ve never played or seen one in person.

Wed May 29, 2024 7:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: How Would You Hook Up a Chapman Stick to an Amp or Compu
The Stick uses a special cable. https://stick.com/shop/accessories/cables/
You will have two separate signal chains. You can use two different amps.
Or you can use effects pedals and combine the two paths into one amp.

On my Railboard, I route the two channels thru a Helix Floor pedal and then directly into the back of a JC-120 amp. This bypasses the JC-120 pre-amps to produce virtually no floor noise.

On my vintage Stick, I've made my own cable to adapt the Fender Mustang Micro to output to my home stereo with dual 15" bass driver DJ speakers. It works very well. Here are some portable options. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16257
ramiroflores wrote:
I’ve recently been interested in the Chapman Stick after seeing Tony Levin use it with King Crimson and Liquid Tension Experiment. My main question is how does it hook up to an amp? Is it the same as any guitar and bass or is there a different way since I’ve seen people hook up two different amps for the low and high end strings respectfully. I apologize if I sound ignorant about the stick, I’ve never played or seen one in person.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed May 29, 2024 8:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

...or if you are okay with mono output SE sell a 'practice' cable that is TRS at the instrument end & just TS at the amp end.

https://stick-enterprises-store.myshopify.com/collections/cables/products/stereo-to-mono-practice-cable-by-cbi-1

Obviously this isn't the only way to have mono output, if that's what you want, just an example.

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)
Bamboo 12 #5826 PASV4 7+5 Parallel 4ths
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic (For Sale)

Thu May 30, 2024 1:55 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

For the computer...

I have a Line6 HX Stomp, which allows for two independent signal chains... two 1/4" inputs, two 1/4" outputs, but you can also go out mono if you only have one amp.

It also has a USB port in it, which I connect to my computer for silent (the HX Stomp has a headphone jack) practice so I can listen to backing tracks or videos while I play.

I'm just a hack making fun noises for now so I don't record anything, but I have no doubt that the USB interface can be used as an input for your computer as well.

It's a nifty gadget and represents a simple, compact all-in-one solution for effects processing and amp modeling. The only thing I wish for is more capacity... the number of effects/amps/cabs/EQs etc. in any one patch is limited. However, there's an effects loop built into it (along with MIDI) so it can be expanded easily.

Oh, and you can also add an expression pedal or an extra couple of footswitches if you're into tap dancing.

Thu May 30, 2024 7:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I use the Helix Floor model. It's now available in purple?
https://www.lamusic.com/products/line-6 ... lix-purple
adouglas wrote:
For the computer...
I have a Line6 HX Stomp, which allows for two independent signal chains... two 1/4" inputs, two 1/4" outputs, but you can also go out mono if you only have one amp..

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu May 30, 2024 2:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow, that's a beast. WAY more expensive than the HX Stomp.

Wondering how much more capacity it has.

I've had a bunch of Line6 gear over the years. It's always struck me as loaded with features and a good value for that reason, but overly complicated... until the HX Stomp. The workflow and software are now quite intuitive in my view.

I yearn for simple, easy-to-use gear that's also tremendously flexible and tremendously capable.

The HX Stomp scores in every respect short of being tremendously capable. It's pretty easy to bump into its limits.

Thu May 30, 2024 4:54 pm

I use an old Roland Cube 30. I plug the bass into one channel and the treble side into a second channel. It works well.

Also, for practice, consider a Zoom H4N or equivalent. That and a pair of headphones make a great practice setup.
I see a good number of pre-owned H4Ns on eBay for $100.00 (USD).

Current caretaker of Stick #2313 - a sultry, black polycarbonate creation

Thu May 30, 2024 6:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adouglas wrote:
W
I yearn for simple, easy-to-use gear that's also tremendously flexible and tremendously capable. .

and costs a dollar...and gets 100mpg at 300mph
with cupholders everywhere

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
And a six-four Impala

Thu May 30, 2024 7:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

GarryB wrote:
Also, for practice, consider a Zoom H4N or equivalent. That and a pair of headphones make a great practice setup.

+1 to that.

Totally portable & I usually get around 4 hours playing time out of a pair of good quality rechargable AAs. :)

PS. My main kit is a Helix Lite, the cheaper version of the Helix Floor - same processing power & capabilities, but a few less inputs (still enough for Stick) and no 'LCD labels' on the foot switches.

Bamboo 12 #7472 Stickup 7+5 Parallel 4ths (C#1 F#1 B1 E2 A2 G#1 C#2 F#2 B2 E3 A3 D4)

Fri May 31, 2024 1:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adouglas wrote:
Wondering how much more capacity it has.

Don't quote me but I have a vague feeling maybe around double the Stomp?

Tap in Time eposode 13 was an interview with a lead tech at Line6. It might be mentioned in that?

Edit to add URL: https://tapintime.podbean.com/e/stompin-with-stolarsky/

Fri May 31, 2024 1:42 am