It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 am

Tap In time Podcast, Episode 5 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Tap In time Podcast, Episode 5
Thanks guys (girl!) for another episode of everything Stick! I like hearing Stickists talk about anything whether equipment or artists/repertoire. I'm not into Bach but studied him for a semester in school, but his music DOES sound great on Stick. And Gene, I LOVE the harpsichord!

Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
Thanks guys (girl!) for another episode of everything Stick! I like hearing Stickists talk about anything whether equipment or artists/repertoire. I'm not into Bach but studied him for a semester in school, but his music DOES sound great on Stick. And Gene, I LOVE the harpsichord!
@Brett: for me, personally, it’s the only way I can make fast scalar runs sound natural and musical on the bass side.
@android: no offense intended with the whole harpsichord thing.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:33 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

bachdois wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:
[...] And Gene, I LOVE the harpsichord!
@android: no offense intended with the whole harpsichord thing.

I mean no offense either but I hate the sound of harpsichord. I don't know if it is in spite of, or because of, my deep, deep love for the sound of its descendant, the pianoforte/fortepiano, or just piano. Real or sampled, electric or acoustic, prepared or not, Bossendorfer with extra bass strings, several pianos stacked on top of each other via MIDI (my favorite studio method of recording piano) or ragtime piano: I love thee so much. Fender Rhodes Electric piano, ah, thou are the butter of life.

Where was I? Oh, I hate the sound of harpsichord. I love harpsichord music, especially Scarlatti and Bach. Just played on the piano instead. It's those quills across the strings instead of hammers: makes all the difference to my ears. And those tuning forks behind the electric pianos are great with me. Just not the quills on blackboards--I mean, lute strings or catgut or whatever they used back then for strings. I'm going to have to google all this now. :ugeek: 8-)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks everyone for the continued kind words, commentary, and encouragement- it means a lot to all of us!

For the record, I have no considered opinion, but I loved the harpsichord back and forth that was going on. :-)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:32 am

Another great episode. (Hey, it's taking me a while to catch up.)

If I had a nit to pick, it's ignoring Bach and the Clavichord. From what I understand, Bach most like the Clavichord, not the organ or the harpsichord. The bad news is that a Clavichord is not a performance instrument. Generally it's too quiet for an audience. The good news is that the Clavichord was the only keyboard at the time which was touch sensitive (for volume) AND pressure sensitive (for pitch bends).

My father built one as a wedding present which my wife and I used at the New York Renaissance Festival. I had a "magic box" which was created by a wizard to amplify the instrument. My wife's harp was more than adequate for the setting without any form of amplification. It sounds similar to a harpsichord with metal strings being hit by a metal tangent.

Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I may have heard of a clavichord, but frankly I can't be certain...interesting stuff there. It's quite possible that I'll be spending some time in the near future looking into instrument construction/design to educate myself a bit.

It's a little absurd to say it, given the huge impact he had on music and how insignificant Tap In Time is by comparison, but this podcast wouldn't exist without Bach. That makes this particular episode one of my personal favorites...it goes back to our roots as a group of Stick friends.

Thanks for listening! :)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:43 am