It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

True medium string set now available 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post True medium string set now available
We now have a true medium string set for our bass in inverted 5ths. In the past, we've chosen to use the two lowest strings from the heavy set for our mediums because they were the best sounding and best feeling strings for those positions and pitches that I could find.

Recently though, we've had slightly thinner strings designed for those two positions that balance perfectly with the rest of the medium set for tone and feel. So now we're offering a choice of three completely different options for any tuning you chose — light, medium and heavy — with easy re-stringing across our fully adjustable bridge and Flaps Dual Nut units.

If you've been wanting to go a just a little heavier or lighter with your strings, it's a good time to try out our new medium set.

All the Best, Emmett.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:06 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: True medium string set now available
BSharp wrote:
We now have a true medium string set for our bass in inverted 5ths. In the past, we've chosen to use the two lowest strings from the heavy set for our mediums because they were the best sounding and best feeling strings for those positions and pitches that I could find.

Recently though, we've had slightly thinner strings designed for those two positions that balance perfectly with the rest of the medium set for tone and feel. So now we're offering a choice of three completely different options for any tuning you chose — light, medium and heavy — with easy re-stringing across our fully adjustable bridge and Flaps Dual Nut units.

If you've been wanting to go a just a little heavier or lighter with your strings, it's a good time to try out our new medium set.

All the Best, Emmett.

I've been using this new medium set on my 10-string lately and really like it. I just got a set for my Grand and will be restringing it today.
If you're already using mediums, the adjustment will be minor, if you're going from lights to mediums, as I am, you'll need to adjust the bridge for string height and intonation (the 4ths string in Classic "B" goes for a plain to would string).

I'll try to make some video of this process.

It's great to have all these choices.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Greg,

Will the new medium gauges affect the setup on an older Stick (without flaps)?

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

adde65 wrote:
Hi Greg,

Will the new medium gauges affect the setup on an older Stick (without flaps)?

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

If you have heavies on there now, you will probably have to raise the nut screws up just a bit as the thinner strings will ride a little lower in the screw channel, but it shouldn't be more than a half-turn.

If you have (old) mediums, the only ones that will be different are the two lowest bass strings.

If you have lights, then all of the strings will be thicker, though the highest bass string probably won't need to be changed.

Hope that's clear.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Greg,

I use "old" mediums, so I was mainly concerned about the two heavy bass strings.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm