It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 am

Life changes and teaching 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Life changes and teaching
Dear Stickists,

As some of you know, my Mom has been in hospice for a while. She finally passed on May 30. I have been spending a lot of time with her, often just practicing in her room quietly. It was a remarkable experience, the power of music to soothe and comfort is amazing.

My parents were both very supportive of my music. I found out after my Dad passed that he would often go to sleep with a cassette of mine playing on his night stand (usually Whispers or Sticks and Stones), and they both came to hear me perform as often as they could. Though Dad would ever "cheer" my decision to be musician openly, I think he was afraid that it was too unstable a path and he grew up in the Great Depression, he was also a musician, a trumpet player, and I know he got some vicarious joy from my pursuit of it.

I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to be there for them, to give back the gift they gave me through both nature and nurture.

My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing, though I know many of you are really kind and would do so. Please take the time it would take to write such thoughts here to write a message to a loved one, telling them how much they mean to you, or just reflect on the support you've had along the way.

TEACHING
My schedule will now be more regular, so if I was unable to accommodate your interest in lessons recently, please get back in touch. I should also be able to participate more on the forum as well. Sorry to have been so infrequent here.

Please send any inquiries to my email stickist@aol.com, rather than using the forum pm function.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Life changes and teaching
I’m sorry for your loss Greg. My sister was in hospice and they are a great organization it certainly makes the final days much better. Music is very healing in so many ways. I’m glad you were able to play for her. No greater gift than that

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Transactional...verbal..language doesn't function well in these liminal spaces.

I talk a lot...on the surface.Underwater the complaint is I don't talk enough through comms. Which I always find odd because, besides dive parameters for mere execution, there's nothing I can say that conveys what is.
and that's the reason we're down there.

May I have her first name? The name, the representation isn't the thing...the Platonic shadows, the Abrahamic proscriptions on direct representation.
Still, it can provide a point of focus.

I ask so that when I go to church (our expression for diving..esp when in spiritual need.though that's sort of every dive, even when working) - I can utter the name and let whatever comingling or bringing the sea offers happen. The water knows much better than I about such things.

Apologies if my words are overly baroque or oblique. It doesn't translate

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My condolences Greg, I hope you are doing as best you can in these difficult times. I grew up without my mother and it's a certain type of hurt that you just have to get used to. As I watch my father attempt to reconstruct his aging body through surgery after surgery, I am more aware now than ever before the limited time I have left with him.

I'll be sure to let him and the rest of the wonderful people in my life know my appreciation for them. Thank you for everything you have done and continue to do for this community. You are a pillar here.

Best wishes.

http://www.patreon.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/jgoldbergmusic
http://www.facebook.com/GEPHband
http://www.facebook.com/thebodyenglish
http://www.facebook.com/theafrocircus

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Condolences from here. I too attended the ends of my parents' earthly lives and I too serenaded my mom for many days. In my case on a parlor guitar with soft fingerstyle music which I hoped would provide a familiar ambience. It's a good thing to do at a time when futility and sad resignation can creep in. To quote Bob Dylan
"You do what you must do, and you do it well - I do it for you, honey can't you tell..."

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Greg,
I just want to convey my condolences on the passing of your Mom.
I also lost my mom 3 years ago. I find myself with a richness of memories from a lifetime of guidance and love.
All the best to you and family as you go forward .
Ferg

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

greg wrote:
...My goal is not to make this a thread for well-wishing...

...of course not, but to share the sorrow is human and great...
...thank you for your gift to show an other view of your person, and a view on your mother too...
...and I'm very shure, your mother was very proud of a son who stands with her in the last moments of her life with somthing of his greatest treasures he has to offer, the music live played for her only...

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Our sincere condolences to you and your family.
Hope the healing process is introspective with positive memories

Steve and Fran

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Very sorry for your loss Greg, those are nice thoughts about your parents. All the best to you and your family.

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

My condolences, Greg. It's encouraging to hear that you were able to spend time with her, as well as to share your gift for music with her in such a meaningful way.

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 am