It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:12 pm

The Great Stickist.com Online Collaboration of 2017 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post The Great Stickist.com Online Collaboration of 2017
:D So... just like last year, I’d love to see an online musical collaboration by us folks here from Stickist. So, since I’d like to see it happen I will happily host/produce it.

It’s a real opportunity for us to each share what it is we do in a completely different context. It’s an excellent way to give back to the community, and promote yourself. It’s open to anyone, so you are all invited. I get that we are all pretty busy, but I promise you that a lot can be done with even simple ideas! The fun part is that nobody knows what direction this might take...

Let’s put our differences aside and create some music, eh? Let’s collaborate!

The Rules:

1)Tempo is 140 BPM
2)The Key is C Melodic Minor - that’s the note pool to be drawn from. (CDEbFGAB) and the respective harmonization to that...
3) Time Signature is whatever you want... (please tell me what it is though haha)
4) Send me your SEPARATE (bass side and melody side) tracks as .wav or .aiff my email is below...
5) Keep it effects free, dry and clean.
6) I’d like 8 measures, but I’d take more - or less!
7) Make sure you are in tune!
8) Other instruments are welcome, let’s rock!
9) The genre, your choice. Just know that the tune itself and everyone’s playing will really dictate what it is in the end - anything can happen!

Deadline = End of December (ish)

My email is jayesskerr@gmail.com

I’m looking forward to hearing from you guys, lemme know if you have any questions! Thanks!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:03 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Great Stickist.com Online Collaboration of 2017
A great idea Scott, I'm so glad you're doing this again. The AFSTG has had projects like this in the past that have really brought people together.

Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yay! Stickworld collab! Last year's was awesome and showed everyone that this is an awesome thing that everyone should get behind. Happy Happy!

I have no idea what I'm gonna give you Scott, because it does not exist yet. But it will, by Christmas, and I can't wait to hear it and also everything else that everyone else does, and here's the big one--what you end up doing to all of our stuff to clean it up and mesh it together nicely in one big happy Stick Jam.

And maybe some people will sing again! And some trombone!

I love me some C minor, but then, on Stick, I don't care what key I'm in. Maybe I'll try some 13/16 (or is it 13/8?), which is a 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4 (or three 3s and a 4). Nah, save that proggy crap for something else. A nice 4/4 C minor...who knows? But I love musical assignments, and boundaries and constraints are our creative friend.

Everyone's got 8 measures or so of something in them. And Scott makes it all purty.

"You can't polish a turd, but you CAN roll it in glitter!"

--Glitter Maker in C Minor

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

https://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/twenty-sixteen-2016-stickisttapping-collaboration

Here is how last year's turned out. It was cool, and a lot of fun. Of course, the rules get bent here and there (made things interesting!), but man oh man did everyone do some cool stuff - it was most excellent, I love listening to it! Everybody's playing is totally epic! I can't thank those who participated enough, it was a lot of fun.

I'm hoping that this year's goes totally crazy again, I can't wait to see what happens stylistically this time! Anything can happen...

So yeah, anyone who participates of course gets a .wav or .aiff as well as high quality MP3 of the final mix... I will see what other goodies I can come up with along the way...

Even if you hate me, get in on this - it will be cool! :D

Contact me at jayesskerr@gmail.com

Thanks!

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

And hey, Don't be intimidated about C Melodic minor too much!

CDEbFGABC

C min (Cmin/maj7) C Melodic Minor or "Real" Jazz minor
D min (Dmin7b9) D Dorian b9
Eb aug (E7#5) Eb Lydian Augmented
Fmaj (F7#11) F Lydian Dominant
Gmaj (G7b13) G Mixolydian b6
Adim (Amin7b5) A Locrian Nat9
Bdim (Severely altered B7 usually, even though it spells a Bmin7b5) B altered

Let's jam!

jayesskerr@gmail.com

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Just for a little twist, Scott, I'd like to add an F# to my contribution, a "wild note" bending upward from the F to create an 8-tone scale. This opens up some exotic chords and scales:

C melodic minor with both the 4th and raised 4th, leading to the 5th.

G major Arabian style with flatted 6th & 7th, but also with the natural 7th, the "siren song".

Eb super Lydian major with raised 4th & 5th, but also with a minor 3rd.

Every degree of this "offset modal" 8-tone scale when used as tonic creates interesting harmony but in this particular set of scale notes (expressed as C melodic minor), the added F# substantiates two "offset modes" especially well, providing a perfect 5th for B at the root, and a major 3rd for D at the root. So here you have two of my favorites:

B major/minor with flatted 6th, 7th & 9th, also with a 5th that can be raised or lowered.

D major/minor with flatted 7th & 9th, and with a major 3rd that can be raised or lowered.

Just one note is added and it doesn't conflict with existing harmony but enriches the colors.

Just considering the 7-tone scale set up by the C melodic minor, you have two geometric escapes::

EbFGAB comprise five of the scale notes that are separated by whole steps, which can easily escape into the 6-note whole tone scale (adding a C#).

BCDEb comprise four of the scale notes with alternating half steps and whole steps, which can easily escape into the 8-tone diminished 7th scale (adding F, F#, Ab & A).

The added F# shouldn't interfere with anyone's harmony but brings something new to the table. Someone here might catch on and add to the chord progressions that are made possible. I like to move my major chords from G to F to Eb, also to B as a substitute "dominant 7th" of G. The C harmonic minor then becomes the IV chord in the key of G.

Now, if I had a simple melodic theme in common with this cooperative effort, I'd "twist" my offset harmony right into it.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Just for a little twist, Scott, I'd like to add an F# to my contribution, a "wild note" bending upward from the F to create an 8-tone scale. This opens up some exotic chords and scales:

C melodic minor with both the 4th and raised 4th, leading to the 5th.

G major Arabian style with flatted 6th & 7th, but also with the natural 7th, the "siren song".

Eb super Lydian major with raised 4th & 5th, but also with a minor 3rd.

Every degree of this "offset modal" 8-tone scale when used as tonic creates interesting harmony but in this particular set of scale notes (expressed as C melodic minor), the added F# substantiates two "offset modes" especially well, providing a perfect 5th for B at the root, and a major 3rd for D at the root. So here you have two of my favorites:

B major/minor with flatted 6th, 7th & 9th, also with a 5th that can be raised or lowered.

D major/minor with flatted 7th & 9th, and with a major 3rd that can be raised or lowered.

Just one note is added and it doesn't conflict with existing harmony but enriches the colors.

Just considering the 7-tone scale set up by the C melodic minor, you have two geometric escapes::

EbFGAB comprise five of the scale notes that are separated by whole steps, which can easily escape into the 6-note whole tone scale (adding a C#).

BCDEb comprise four of the scale notes with alternating half steps and whole steps, which can easily escape into the 8-tone diminished 7th scale (adding F, F#, Ab & A).

The added F# shouldn't interfere with anyone's harmony but brings something new to the table. Someone here might catch on and add to the chord progressions that are made possible. I like to move my major chords from G to F to Eb, also to B as a substitute "dominant 7th" of G. The C harmonic minor then becomes the IV chord in the key of G.

Now, if I had a simple melodic theme in common with this cooperative effort, I'd "twist" my offset harmony right into it.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Haha the "rules" are fluid, anything can happen! I love it!

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

So far, so good guys. I've made contact with lots of people - most of whom are into it, two of which have made submissions already (Crazy, right?) And hoo boy, does it ever look like this one will be radically different from last year's... There is going to be heaps of excellent playing, and overall it is going to turn out just great! :D

The Rules: (More like loose guidelines, anything can happen)

1)Tempo is 140 BPM
2)The Key is C Melodic Minor - that’s the note pool to be drawn from. (CDEbFGAB) and the respective harmonization to that...
3) Time Signature is whatever you want... (please tell me what it is though haha)
4) Send me your SEPARATE (bass side and melody side) tracks as .wav or .aiff my email is below...
5) Keep it effects free, dry and clean.
6) I’d like 8 measures, but I’d take more - or less!
7) Make sure you are in tune!
8) Other instruments are welcome, let’s rock!
9) The genre, your choice. Just know that the tune itself and everyone’s playing will really dictate what it is in the end - anything can happen!

Deadline = End of December (ish)

My email is jayesskerr@gmail.com Contact me! You have recording questions or issues? Lemme know and I will be happy to help any way I can. Also, there are a ton of folks here who are pretty recording savvy, so any questions can be posted right on the forums...

Having troubles with the harmony/theory? Sounds a bit alien? What a great topic to discuss with your Instructor... Heck, your instructor may even play on the thing so how cool would THAT be? Your playing right beside your teacher's... Could happen! Not saying it will, but it could. :D

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

2001 CD "The Answers Inside"...
A duo track of improvised off the cuff Stick noodling with master drummer Matt Wilson titled "Sea Miner"

Steve A

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'll handle drums for this!

Kris

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:00 am