Contributor
Contributor

Post the Chapman Stick is...

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:21 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: the Chapman Stick is...
No offense to non-Americans...

I simply find it noteworthy that the Stick is one of the few instruments in the world actually invented in America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lbeUKSIiBc

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:53 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Two others are Sousaphone and pedal steel.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post the Chapman Stick is...
Assuming that we generally say (at least here) an instrument is from a place when it's used to define the sound of some sort of traditional music, aren't there any instruments from native Americans or some sort of Native American traditional music? Just curious. I wouldn't think of the stick as an "American instrument" anymore than I would think of a piano as an "Italian instrument" or the Sax as a German one. But I would think of a bandoneon as an Argentinian instrument, the clave as cuban or a pan flute as a South American instrument... never really though of the stick as that

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:07 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I don't play traditional music. That's why I got a Stick...

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Besides skin drums and rattle type percussion instruments, the native American pentatonic flute can be traced back at least a thousand years and though it resembles a European recorder, is fundamentally different in tuning and embouchure. The earliest ones were made from animal and human bones. I'd say it fits your definition of an indigenous ethnic instrument known for playing indigenous ethnic music.

Whereas the Sousaphone was a German tuba re imagined in a circular form so it could be worn in a marching band. One can argue however that J.P.Sousa's music is definitely an Americana art form.

The idea of strings played with a slide has roots in Hawaii and even further back to Japan, China and India in that order but the modern pedal steel was invented in middle America around 1950 and is mostly heard in American country music. The standard 10 string E9th tuning with its I>IV and Sus>release plagal cadence pedal changes, can easily coerce a player towards a certain highly cliché American country music style. And with earlier C6 tunings everything tended to sound Hawaiian. As a steel player I found these built-in idiosyncrasies difficult to overcome until I'd played it for at least a decade and started developing my own tuning and pedal changes. Even now very few players venture very far beyond country and Hawaiian music.

The Stick with its wide open 4ths/5ths tuning provides a fundamentally ambiguous and stylistically neutral playing grid. The tapping technique is also totally visible, logical, free from mystery, easy to pick up by watching another player. And with both hands playing, there's not too much you can't get to easily. So it could be argued that although invented right down the road from me here in Los Angeles only a few decades ago, the Stick belongs (musically speaking) to the world because it's not tied to any particular style. So any kind of 12 tone music can easily be played on it without invoking cultural or scalar baggage.

For me it's a breath of fresh air.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery