It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

small milestone 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: small milestone
Hey Rand, excellent :D :D I guess you've seen what I've been up to , so In my humble opinion , just get out there and have fun. Keep going and you'll be amazed how things change. It s the best thing ever. Get through a few and keep going. So from down under, well actually singapore for a few more days " Good on Ya! "

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandO wrote:
Hey all,

I am a drummer, and attempting to be a Stickiest as well! I've been playing drums with my current band for about 1 1/2 years now. They know I play the Chapman Stick, but I never did it with them.

We did a private outdoor small party this past Saturday, and we played 'The Weight'. Well, the bass player doesn't like the song, I do. Knowing that he likes to play drums, I threw down the gauntlet and challenged him to play drums, and i would do the bass on my Stick. He accepted, we practiced a few times and we did it ...gasp!... in front of people!

It went really well! That was the first time I have played anything on the Chapman Stick in public. Only the bass side (I felt like Tony Levin!) but I have never played for anyone other than a few close family members.

This Saturday we are doing another private party for about 150 people and we are doing 'The Weight' again. I also volunteered to do a few songs when the band takes a break.... if I can get by the willies lol!

I am actually looking forward to trying out 3-4 songs and see if I can get through them without large clams! I figure this is like my first open mic, and I have to try it. I've been drumming for 50 years (I am 66), only started the stick in Feb 2015, so a real noob. I don't get nervous at all on the drums. I'm hoping I can transition from drums, to "The Weight", to playing solo, without passing out lol!

Kick ass, RandO! What a great idea! Rock the drums all night and then bring the Stick out and do a couple of quick ass-kicking tunes and maybe an encore! You could do Mary Had a Little Lamb, and it would probably still knock people out, but I'm sure you have even better stuff than that! Break a leg!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jzzb8ovn wrote:
I can relate to the nerves..... I have to do an hour and I'm nervous as hell about playing stick live. I've done a solo a few times but not an hour long set.. Life's about taking chances and making mistakes so that's what we are doing. Let us know how it goes
I feel your pain lol! But we have to start somewhere! Thanks, will keep everyone posted.
earthgene wrote:
...Is there anyone that can sing on songs that you are performing? That can alleviate some of the pressure.
I actually feel like that would cause more pressure Gene, I'd have to try and stay with them. Right now I still have trouble accompanying me!
Quote:
Don't try to do too much on your first outing. Have a friend announce that you'll be playing 2 songs, and then ask if people want to hear a third. That response should be enough of a signal on how well you're doing. I'm certain it will be a resounding yes!
That's exactly my thought!
Quote:
The idea here is not to linger. Play your 2 best tunes and be ready for a third..... ....you don't have to be nervous - enjoy sharing your music, you're going to crush it.
Thanks Gene, I hope so. I have 5 - 6 pretty decent ones, so I will mull them over and pick 3.

Jayesskerr wrote:
Yep, you're prepared; you are going to rock the joint! Awesome, man!
Thanks Scott!

BSharp wrote:
Why so much fear of public performance? .... I like to do a little twist on that, "Nothing to fear but the fear of fear itself." ....
Emmett, thank you for taking the time to prop me up! It's strange, drumming in front of hundreds has never made me nervous (well, not for 'eons' lol!). I have sat in the yard and played for family when they are in our pool, and they love the 'background' vibe. They are also extremely understandable and very forgiving!
Quote:
On stage, you're at the mercy of those little digits with the fine, small muscles, half mental half physical. How to control them with some verve, cold in that first moment of song? (First impressions do count!)
Yes, getting a running start out of the gate I think will be instrumental (yes, that was an intended pun!) in my success. I have tried playing for folks a while ago, and I had brain freeze! I do feel much more comfortable with my stick knowledge now than I did back then.
Quote:
You need an extra mental/physical mode, a forgiving technique to get started, to warm up. It's in the larger muscles, the broader gestures, like a drummer (no problem) or like Greg's physical teachings of arm and hand movement.
I am hoping when I play the bass side on my stick, that will calm the nerves and get me exercised to play my songs.
Quote:
Air Stick experiment: Pretend your fingers are so cold they can barely move, or else so nervous you don't dare move them. Then play your lines and scales anyway by sheer force of arm, wrist and hand movement. "Up-hand / down-hand" rhythms come into play, as on keys, and confidence grows. You can do it anyway.
Thank you for that tip Emmett! When I read this I tried some air stick experimenting as suggested, and it worked out pretty well. I actually played my stick unplugged and just closed my eyes and tried to let my fingers do the walking. It was fun It also seemed to have a calming influence, good suggestion, thank you!

Lee Vatip wrote:
Wise words Mr. Chapman.
Rand. I know you will be fine. Just remember the fun part of our lessons and enjoy the performance with that same enjoy the moment attitude
All good
Steve A
Thanks Steve. I do hope you realize that without your efforts and diligence, I would still be trying to figure out how to play simple chords!

bachdois wrote:
Invaluable advise right there, from the man himself!Sometimes when, for some reason, the stress goes up I just start with some noodling... something that doesn't imply hitting the wrong note or making a mistake on a previous arranged song.
But it takes courage to expose yourself to something that might not go right. I salute you on that.
Thanks man, I really appreciate that!

The_Afro_Circus wrote:
Nice! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the encouraging words!
AnDroiD wrote:
Just went thru a "what could go wrong will go wrong", but the thing is, I was nervous to go in the studio ON STICK, and ten minutes in my string farts out and I can't play the Stick AT ALL, and then rework the parts for bass...pressure is amazing, I went totally into survival mode, balls to the wall, not thinking, get the job done...and nailed it. (the guitarist still wants me coming back to record Stick) Break a Leg! Oh, and I'm 59 and never giving up playing music for myself, for others, with others, in the studio, out of studio, live, until dead.
Thanks AnDroiD! You are doing some pretty cool stuff yourself!

piratebruce wrote:
Hey Rand, excellent :D :D I guess you've seen what I've been up to , so In my humble opinion , just get out there and have fun. Keep going and you'll be amazed how things change. It s the best thing ever. Get through a few and keep going. So from down under, well actually singapore for a few more days " Good on Ya! "
Yes Bruce, I've been following your progress pretty closely, and watched all your singapore gigs. Your getting out there helped inspire me to try it... Thank you!

paigan0 wrote:
Kick ass, RandO! What a great idea! Rock the drums all night and then bring the Stick out and do a couple of quick ass-kicking tunes and maybe an encore!.....Break a leg!
Thanks Steve, hoping to keep my legs intact so I can play the second set on my drums LOLOL!!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

So, this happened Saturday! It threatened rain all day, and even during our performance, but we only got a very heavy mist, which the band played through. After we set everything up and did a sound check for the band, I got out my Stick and got it all hooked up with the sound guy. The function was to start around 5:00, but we were there around 3:00 to set up and get ready. Around 5:15 people were drifting in, so I took a deep breath, climbed up on stage, and started playing.
It was crazy! I looked up, saw lots of folks watching, in the middle of my opening tune (Let It Be), and I hit my first blind spot lol! I got befuddled and screwed up. But someone came over to chat right then so i used it as an excuse to stop and recover. When he left, I started again, and got through it. Then I went on to 'Wonderful World'. Done it 1,000 times, but this time I got tangled up with my fingers not going where they were supposed to, and I stumbled mightily! I actually restarted, and this time it went pretty well. Of course the jitters were subsiding too, so the next few tunes went well. I played 'Imagine', then 'Mad World', and then 'Hallelujah'. We were facing a lake, and some people who came to the function, lived on the other side of the lake. They told the head guy that they heard me across the lake, and that song sounded beautiful. Woohoo!
Things were now going pretty well, the jitters were gone, so I finished up with a short rendition of 'Over the Rainbow' and then 'Rainbow Connection'. Then it was over! Much too soon lol! I played for about 45 minutes, there were 60-75 people getting food, chatting and enjoying the music.
My bandmates were really complimentary. The lead guitarist said he was impressed I had such a nice touch playing. The bassist was really surprised and impressed with the overall sound, and the other guitarist/singer was blown away... he said he never expected to hear what he heard! Several times they (and others) complimented me.

I was very happy with the performance, although I laid a few eggs! It went better than I anticipated, and now that I am no longer a 'virgin', I am actually looking forward to my next opportunity to play in front of people.

Unfortunately, the fellow who I asked to run my video camera, hit the wrong button, (standby instead of record) so I have no video. I did have a couple of pictures taken which I've included. I do have some band video, and I played bass on the Chapman Stick for one song (The Weight), so if I can figure out how to cut that one song out from the video, I will try and upload it in the future.

Thanks for the support all, and the good suggestions beforehand. It all helped to calm my nerves and made me feel much better about performing. Yup, I had a pretty lousy start, but recovered and improved. Next time will go even better! I am not very good, but as some mentioned, even Mary Had a Little Lamb sounds fantastic on the Chapman Stick!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good one Rand. Welcome to the Stick-in-public experience. It can be intimidating to attempt string navigation in front of an audience but you persevered and experienced the joy. Congrats on your fortitude and gratification of the moment

Steve A

Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Winning. Thanks for the awesome gig report, a great way to start the day.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Steve, and Gene. It was a real weird experience. I've played drums forever, and have not felt strange in front of an audience for 50 years lol! But the Stick is my first experience with a stringed instrument, and starting late in life I wasn't sure I'd ever get to this point. When I first started playing in early February 2015, I famously said if I could learn ONE song in 3 years I'd be happy. Well, now I'm ecstatic!

Here's a youtube video of our cover of "The Weight". Be kind... the keys and female vocalist have only been with us 6 weeks, and both had a lot of material to learn quickly. The bass player (who sat in on drums) and I decided to switch it up 3 weeks ago, and only played this at practice 3 times! This wasn't a real polished performance, but it worked for me!

Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rats, I am getting an error stating that the video is not available?

NO VIDEO - NO KINDNESS

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Uh-oh, it says the video is private. I wanna see it, bud - hook me up! I bet it's awesome!

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Argh! Who knew lol! OK, I set it to "unlisted", so it is no longer private, and should work with the link posted here. Let me know if it doesn't.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:34 pm