It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

New Railboard day! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: New Railboard day!
Skydiver wrote:
For a tapping instrument the nut has no purpose except to hold the string in place at a certain height. Intonation is not effected because you can't tap the nut for a note... The distance from the nut to the first fret (or X-fret) has no effect to the intonation of the remaining frets.

And what about harmonics as played here by Youenn Landreau:

or here by Irene Orleansky:

The different length doesn't affects natural harmonic positions on the string?
I mean the one over the 12th fret should be exactly on the middle of the string, but the 12th fret on a Railboard isn't in the middle ; so the natural harmonic should be moved...

What do you think about that?

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Fri May 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Yes, that confused me at first too. I thought the Inlay positions had changed on the Railboard. On my old Stick, the first inlay is in the 2nd physical fret space. On the Railboard, it's in the 3rd fret space. On the old Stick, I could give a quick slap on the open strings and they would sound for a short time before fading. On the Railboard, this first "X" fret is basically the open string note on the old stick that can be fretted like any other. On my Railboard, the Lowest note on the lowest string in the X fret is C. So even though the inlays appear to be one fret higher along the board, because of the X fret, the notes are actually the same on both at the inlay frets. It's actually easier, because now you can sound the open string notes clearly like any other, which I can't do on the old Stick. Does that make sense?

Fri May 05, 2017 12:41 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Skydiver wrote:
For a tapping instrument the nut has no purpose except to hold the string in place at a certain height. Intonation is not effected because you can't tap the nut for a note... The distance from the nut to the first fret (or X-fret) has no effect to the intonation of the remaining frets.

There are some players who do play an open note and the Railboard doesn't work for those songs. I remember Kevin Keith mentioning that there is one song he plays an open note and therefore can't use the Railboard for it...

Thanks!! Thought I was seeing a missing fret! LOL

Fri May 05, 2017 12:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yanlep wrote:
The different length doesn't affects natural harmonic positions on the string?
I mean the one over the 12th fret should be exactly on the middle of the string, but the 12th fret on a Railboard isn't in the middle ; so the natural harmonic should be moved...

What do you think about that?

I've never seen these videos. Great songs!

The harmonic won't be affected because they are holding down the strings with the left hand an using the right to strike a node to create the harmonic. No relation to the nut.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri May 05, 2017 3:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Does Dean Rock or what? :)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Fri May 05, 2017 5:00 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thats a nice reminder, not seen that video of Irene for quite a while. One of the early STICK videos I saw. Always intrigued by the harmonics.

Fri May 05, 2017 7:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Irene O.! And my favorite pedal!

Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

If you placed the order on April 7th and received it May 3rd, that's roughly 4 weeks.

Did you mean to say your delivery took less than a month? If so, that is quite an improvement in turnaround time for SE. Really impressive.

A great instrument. I had the pleasure of playing one last year.

Congratulations, bro.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Wed May 10, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks! I ordered over the phone in Jan. They were just getting ready to send out a batch of Railboards for Anodizing. I specified my preferred options then. They didn't ask for a deposit until the Railboards came back from Anodizing in the beginning of April. We finalized the options when I made the depost. From the day of deposit to completion was about a month. So a bit over 3 months total.

Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm