It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

I'm going passive! 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: I'm going passive!
The ACTV-2 only requires new holes drilled under where the pickup rests so it can be affixed to the superstructure of the instrument. The PASV-4 and the Stickup have the housing for the block risers in the same place. I recall that SE had placed an insert underneath the pickup that had the position of where the holes were to be drilled - it was a sort of template.

Flint, you knew this day would come. Stick number 2 beckons (you too Rodrigo!!).

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

earthgene wrote:
Hmm, I'm thinking new pickup AND new Stick. Right MK? :D

New Chapman Sticks (or more Sticks, new, used or...well I guess there is no other kind) would be the ideal. I have one built in 1984 that I bought at a musicians flea market, and a newer model built and purchased just before the RailBoards came out, plus an SG-12 model that I bought most recently.

Do I have enough Sticks? Does anyone? Can anyone? :D But it seems like Flint has to cancel some shows because of this. He seems like a hard worker(not to mention the "face" of the Stick for all who go to see and hear him play) and needs to get back out there ASAP. I think Per Boysen has also talked of swapping out pick ups. To me, if you have an instrument(or fret board) that you are comfortable with and like to play, why not replace the only part that you are having a problem with? I get what you are saying though.

@Flint-I am certain that the PASV-4 and ACTV-2 fit in the same slot. I did have to drill some holes in my older model(which was already retrofitted...retrofat?... for the ACTV-2) to install the PASV-4 to it, but not the other way around(didn't have to drill to put the older pick up on the newer Stick, seems like my newer model came with both sets of holes). The trick, if you need, is to use a slightly smaller bit than the size of the machine screw that comes with the pickup.

Mike

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

If I had a Stick with a block cavity and had my choice between an Actv-2 or a Pasv-4 I'd go w/the the Pasv-4. I had one for a while on a paduak grand that used to belong to Leo Gosselin and I really liked it. It has it's own sound and it's a punchy tone with a lot of character. I too, wanted a spare ax with maybe a different pickup just for diversity so I had Emmett build me a dark bamboo grand with a Stickup just because........
It's everything I hoped it would be for a 2nd instrument, but just then -
there was an out of town death in the family and airplane tickets had to be bought etc so I had to trade in the paduak w/the Pasv-4 to pay for the bamboo Stick. After a while tho I realized I had been trying to make the Pasv-4 sound like a Stickup. That's the tone I had been going for. The Stickup has maybe a bad rap as old fashioned, too simple, no bells and whistles, doesn't work well with distortion, etc but maybe because of its simplicity - it's got the most complex tone of all the available pickups in my opinion. Crystalline and punchy is how I would characterize it. Distortion works quite well with a Stickup too BTW. I employ an old RAT pedal on my pedal board and it delivers the goods in a big way if you want to go there. It's also the only pickup with individual adjustable pole pieces for each string. That's especially important on the bass side. 5ths get skinny real quick as you go from string to string especially on a 12 string and the difference in mass between the 7th and 12th string is profound.Therefore the ability to adjust each string's pole piece can be critical in balancing the output of the bass side of a grand. I'll get a 2nd instrument eventually and I'll wait I think, for a Grand Railboard because it's pickup is much like a Pasv-4 in tone and circuits. I had one of the first batch of Railboards and I loved the tone of that pickup - it just didn't have 12 strings. Nothing wrong BTW with having to deal with 9 volt batteries in an active environment if that's what it takes and I have a solid body guitar, an electrified F-5 mandolin and a baritone mandolin with batteries in 'em. You just gotta stay on top of the situation. But for a passive pickup consider a Stickup on your next Stick! While you're spending money I suggest one of these to go with it. http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/sp2/ Nice way to add a little EQ and mix down to mono if you wish - the only feature I miss on a Stickup.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'll get a 2nd instrument eventually and I'll wait I think, for a Grand Railboard because it's pickup is much like a Pasv-4 in tone and circuits.

12-string Railboard....you've heard it is coming too?

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:44 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Yep It's coming. Can't say just when though.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:12 am