It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:14 pm

<<<--2016 Stick Collaboration --->>> 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: <<<--2016 Stick Collaboration --->>>
K Rex wrote:
Yeah, Scott, it is certainly a success. It's a pretty cool thing that you took it upon yourself to put such energy into making the work of others into a tangible piece.

I hope it is rewarding for you, and that it energizes you and compels others to participate in the next effort.

Kev

K Rex, this has been an excellent starting point, I am very, very pleased that if even people were unable to participate this time around then they did comment on and around it. Music, it's cool. I mean, we can all "talk" theory, and discuss gear, but at some point we should throw down and actually do something.

I thought that if a whole bunch of people got their hands dirty with some music, and that when it got combined it would be less about the individual offering, and more about the effect of each contribution in a collective context. Y'know? Something that twenty people have participated in, that I think they can all be excited about. I think this piece of music stands out, and if nothing else it speaks to the massive potential for creating interesting projects right here on the inter-web. The world is not so big after all, eh?

I was hoping to get Steve Adelson, Greg Howard, K Rex, Brett Bottomley, Kevin Chiasson, Luc Bergeron and Gene Perry on this but it just didn't work out. I would have asked Emmett, but I suspect he is very, very busy. Maybe the dudes who couldn't make it just wanted to make sure that it didn't suck, or just see how it turned out. Perhaps they didn't have time, and maybe life just got in the way. Or maybe they felt that it was a complete waste of time. I know at least one person is injured and actually unable to play. Lol I am hoping that for the "next" thing, I can get them interested and participating. Having fun doing music is never a waste of time in my humble opinion...

I am hoping it gives someone else an idea, and they do their own thing, something crazy with the tools we have at our disposal... Heck, maybe I will even get invited to participate if someone decides to do something! Let's see where it goes, dudes...

At any rate, I will most definitely be doing more of these sorts of things... I'm already planning another heist as I write this...

Thanks again guys, it was a real honour to participate in this!

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:19 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Jayesskerr wrote:

I was hoping to get Steve Adelson, Greg Howard, K Rex, Brett Bottomley, Kevin Chiasson, Luc Bergeron and Gene Perry on this but it just didn't work out. I would have asked Emmett, but I suspect he is very, very busy. Maybe the dudes who couldn't make it just wanted to make sure that it didn't suck, or just see how it turned out. Perhaps they didn't have time, and maybe life just got in the way. Or maybe they felt that it was a complete waste of time.

Some names mentioned here earn their bread and butter playing, teaching, and recording music. All listed here have given a decent portion of their time and knowledge for the betterment of the community. And I believe it is a fact that often, those planning, hosting and or teaching regional seminars make minimal proceeds or even take a financial beating after all is said and done. For what ever personal reasons these folks opted not to participate in your collaboration idea(which I think is one of the most interesting ideas for getting us all to play, and could even be a demo for SE to display different sounds the Stick could make) I hope we won't be too hard on them or attempt to draw them out. If some of these guys volunteer a few measures for the cause, we may be appreciative. But it could be 'stepping on toes"(not to mention, counter-productive) to begin expressing public disappointment that specific people decided not to be part of the project.

That said, I loved the idea and the final outcome. I hope it becomes an annual event.

Mike

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Ummm, I am not "singling anyone out" in a negative way nor am I disappointed with anyone, whether they were able to contribute or not. I was trying to say "Thank you" and "No Big whup"

Man, do I ever hope that is clear...

I am grateful to anyone who listened, and anyone who played and anyone who commented. People have their reasons for not being able/interested in doing something like this, and that's fine - I am not judging. People do what they can.

I recognize that I am nobody, just an internet personality from the middle of nowhere who is just excited about music. I have no axe to grind other than trying to maybe get folks more excited about playing, and maybe share ideas.

I mentioned names of people that I thought would be cool together on a piece of music. Ever wonder what it would be like to have Yngwie on a Tool record? Vai collaborate with Christina Aguiliera? Miles Davis and Guthrie Govan? Merle Haggard and Brian May? The names were posted NOT because of any kind of disappointment, or animosity, but because they are like my musical "Fantasy Football" list.

Some guys were kind enough to reply to my request, others participated, and a few did not reply at all, and a couple more were quite fucking nasty to me. Part of the territory, at least they replied lol. I am still grateful to everyone who participated and I would gladly include people that hate my guts in something like this in the future. The door is open.

So one more time; "THANK YOU"

and if it wasn't clear "MAYBE NEXT TIME? PLEASE?"

and again "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU"

Hopefully that clarifies my views on this...

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

We should do a version for 2019!

Support: bitcoin:bc1qedfg9z55ux3tlnf7qnnu3vggv8vant604dasye?message=Donate

http://www.instagram.com/waltschwarzkopf

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am