It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

2017 New Year's Resolution...how to play The Stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post 2017 New Year's Resolution...how to play The Stick
Simple....you own a Stick or soon to be. You're not making much progress, playing the same triads and a scale or two. Two hands don't work together. Where's that Db?
So take a lesson. Progress from guidance. A good investment toward your Stick ownership.
Any level, any style. Skype or live.
Author of Mel Bay's Stickology.....and Truefire's Ultimate Stick 2DVD set

Email inquiries....steveafran@aol.com

Thanks
Steve Adelson

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:27 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: 2017 New Year's Resolution...how to play The Stick
That sounds great, Steve! I really hope you can stay with it!!

Joking aside, I started taking Skype lessons from Steve a few months back. I already know how to play the Stick to some degree but over the years I sort of played myself into a box. Steve has opened my eyes to some new techniques and reminded me of some I had seen a while back but forgot about. Early on, he aided me in determining a goal and how I am going to reach it. Now he helps me keep on track.

In and among the actual Stick lessons, topics we have also discussed include:
-pain management
-stress relief
-Music theory
-philosophy
-where the Db is

I have had lessons with several teachers here(over Skype and at seminars) , and you can learn something worthwhile from all of them. I just wanted to mention that Steve is teaching me currently and that I am enjoying the lessons immensely.

Mike

Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I have just started taking lessons with Steve (I'm on my third week), and I can't say enough about how great skpe lessons are with Steve. I'm a brand new stick player and decided if i am going to learn this stick lets do it right. Steve has put everything in a order where i can understand how the stick is set up. Any questions he is willing to discuss till I understand. I look forward to my upcoming lessons. Give Steve a try you will not be disappointed. :D

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:04 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Let this serve as the GREAT RESOLUTION POST! I am two objectives shy of my resolution which is memorizing the 8th Invention and learning and being able to perform Air on a G string.

There's still a few weeks left though - here's to solid, structured practice time!

Oh, and a grab a lesson or two with Steve why don't you, right? Who buys a $3k instrument and doesn't take at least a few lessons? I will be taking some lessons in Ableton this evening - that's definitely on my short list of resolutions for 2017.

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Steve is such a FINE player... He really encouraged me to make "friends" with Music Theory. I have gleaned and learned so much from the few lessons I have had with him. I plan on taking more lessons with him this year!! His approach, teaching style and humor are enriching and encouraging...

Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Happy Happy Burfday Randi

Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Totally agree Randi - I was still noodling after several months of owning my stick, with NO idea how to conceivably play music! 20 months of lessons later, I feel confident in the layout and geography, I have gained 1,000% more music theory knowledge (it's easy when you start with none!!), and I can actually muddle my way thru about 15 songs with 'some' degree of playability. Once in a while my wife can actually recognize a tune lol.
Seriously, when I started this journey almost 2 years ago, 1 month shy of age 64, I thought if I could play 1 song after 2 years, I'd be happy. With Steve's tutoring, guidance, and friendship, I am far beyond where I expected to be.
I am taking a little hiatus because I feel now I really need to practice and develop finger and brain muscle memory. I know what I want to play but I don't have the skill set yet to play it well. I don't ever expect to reach the proficiency level of Steve, Greg, DBro et al - all fine teachers from what I have gathered here on the forum - but I do know now that I can improve.
I just need to play. The enthusiasm that led me to this incredible instrument is still burning, and I fully intend to get back to lessons once I get more proficient.Without those lessons I know I would still be fiddling and diddling along like a boat without a rudder.

I would add my voice to really encourage new players - TAKE SOME LESSONS! They are "priceless".
Thanks Steve! Talk soon......

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks guys. It's been very rewarding to guide and share my musical experience with Stick students of every level and musical style. It's very gratifying to see and hear everyone's progress. Moving forward is its own motivation. See y'all soon.

Steve A

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Steve's teaching via his book brought me to a higher level.highly recommend his teaching. As soon as I get a new computer with a good Skype device i'm in with this Jazz king.plus he's going to show me how to dial in that awesome Epifani bass amp.

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Back in NY after 2 weeks traveling.
Local gigs only for a while

Focusing on teaching for a bit
Inquiries welcome

Steve A
SteveAFran@aol.com

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:26 pm