It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

New Stick album posted 

Post Re: New Stick album posted
AnDroiD wrote:
Just didn't want to go w/ the "Grand Wazoo" reference. GREAT SHIT!!!

...Grand Wazoo was a great live show and the reference is a tip of my hat. Maybe you had to be there. Spectrum in Philly - Leo Kottke, Mahavishnu (inner mounting/birds of fire tour) and a heck of a Zappa lineup - early 70's - way way ahead (Jerry Goodman and Jean Luc Ponty in one night - yowzer). and fricking LOUD! And alien to my ears at the time...
Yo - I dig Zappa'ish stuff - that was my point. 8-)

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:36 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The whole Waka/Jawaka Hot Rats Grand Wazoo era is still my favorite Zappa. "This is Ansley Dunbar. He sounds like two drummers." Indeed! I wish I could have seen the "Petite Wazoo" tour. Nothing like live horns...

Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Wow. Super impressed, John.

Bravo.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks, Dan. I suggest large headphones or vintage '70s dorm speakers for full effect.

The fusion references above are all good, but a bigger influence on this project was the TV and film music of the same era. I studied with some of the guys who wrote that stuff back then.

I'm currently reading a college textbook on arranging from 1972. I learned to write before DAWs, Finale, etc., and have yet to move into the new century. Still using all hardware, no computer, just a synth with an onboard sequencer.

Alain, those rhythms are partly a result of the low tech. My sequencer stops at 16 beats per measure. So something I might normally write in 17/16 has to be 2/4 plus 9/16, for example. Kind of a hassle, but it ends up sounding the same.

As for the meter stacks, I don't know any tricks around them. You just have to write over the bar lines and hit the accents when you play the parts.

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Wow! Very impressive! Really good work on this, John. You've done an outstanding job on this. 8.4 was my favorite. And thanks for posting the score as well. Truly impressive all around. Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery