It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 New Stick.com site is live 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: New Stick.com site is live
I like the old website. But...I'm not buying a new or used Stick, and I call Stick Ent. on the phone and talk to a human being. Call me old-fashioned.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Greg,
These Links are faulty:

On the Page:
http://stick.com/instruments/ns/

“The bolt-on neck is laminated bamboo or wenge, with our distinctive Stick rear bevel. The body is a choice of beautiful hardwoods with a "soft finish" so the player can really feel the wood, or an optional high gloss clear coat. Choose from natural wood colors or several penetrating dyes and stains. Additional charges for the dyes and clear coat apply.“

There are letters missing in the code.

Greetings Gerald

Railboard MR #6549
Grand Stick Classic #1697

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Looks so f**king great!!!

Rosewood 10 String Stick #6092

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I like the old website. But...I'm not buying a new or used Stick, and I call Stick Ent. on the phone and talk to a human being. Call me old-fashioned.
Oldfashioned! :) No, you're fine--but I think a lot of kids these days, and even older me, prefer to email or text people rather than picking up the phone. I know I hate when I have to call someone on the phone for work, when email is so much easier and faster and less socially interactive (that's a feature and a bonus, rather than being a minus.) I'll also admit to several long emails to Cambria when I first bought my Railboard, without ever once actually even to this day talking to her on the phone!

But I also see youngsters go to ridiculous lengths to avoid just picking up a phone and asking someone a quick question. I myself am guilty of that, but I'll also just whip out a phone and say "Let's actually ask Jerry what he thinks, rather than speculating why he didn't answer that email!" or worse, not understanding what he meant by several weird emoticons and a LOL! :ugeek: :twisted: 8-) :mrgreen:

To the subject at hand, website update: I liked the old one. I don't mind the new one. This page here was well laid out and handy, with a video in the middle:
http://stick.com/instruments/tunings/

I see the new icons for Facebook and YouTube at the botton of the page, with Twitter and email. Gotta go boldy into that new Internet--sorry, now non-capitalized, internet sunset!

The header/dropdown banner at the top had lots of useful links that were well laid out and the formatting was uniform (although I personally don't like the non-capitalized headers, but this was an obvious stylistic choice, and more importantly, seemed to be applied consistently across the board.)

Look, I get it. The new website looks completely different than the old one, which was very well done and very well used. We all--certainly you all more than newbie-me--got used to it and now it looks different.

A great number of my favorite political websites and news-sites and entertainment sites have all undergone drastic makeovers every few years or so and I usually hate all of them, until I get used to it just in time for the new design that I absolutely hate until....until the new popups or pop-unders, or popover ads appear and I hate them too....old man rant off.

Also, standard tech writer joke: "Too many vowels. Definitely too many. Please remove every other vowel. K, thanks!"

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Quote:
Look, I get it. The new website looks completely different than the old one, which was very well done and very well used. We all--certainly you all more than newbie-me--got used to it and now it looks different.

A great number of my favorite political websites and news-sites and entertainment sites have all undergone drastic makeovers every few years or so and I usually hate all of them, until I get used to it just in time for the new design that I absolutely hate until....until the new popups or pop-unders, or popover ads appear and I hate them too....old man rant off.

I bought my Stick in 1993 (or was it 1994?) after requesting an informative pamphlet over the phone. I was absolutely mesmerized by this brochure, so much that it became more akin to a square of tissue paper, separating at the creases over the course of a few months while I saved money doing gigs and delivering Chinese food to (somewhat) support my musical existence. I managed to save the money. I wanted it so badly. I knew what the tapping instrument was, and there was nothing which would deter me from getting one once I made the choice.

My point is that I knew about the Stick before I asked for the brochure. My opinion is that this market is not a market for newbs who know absolutely nothing about the Stick or prog rock or tapping. I do not believe there are hordes of people who will happen onto this community by accident or happenstance. I believe there is little need for a profound change in website presence.

Every graphic artist/designer I know (and I know many, a few of whom perform design work for major corporations) would dismiss the new site out-of-hand, it is so critically lacking in so many ways. I do not say this because I have it out for the designer. I do not say this because I have it out for SE. Again, I quite liked the old design. I just cannot understand why they didn't won't hire a professional artist to replicate and enhance the old design.

I have exceedingly talented friends who could accomplish this on a budget, maintaining a similar feel to the old, well-loved site while making it entirely mobile-friendly. Hell, I could do it myself.

This site will not bring in more people. It will not hold the interest of existing customers. It's a total design train wreck.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm gonna disagree with you on this one Kev, personally I thought the old site was in desperate need of a makeover. It was getting complicated to navigate, sometimes taking 3 or more clicks to get to a certain page. Sure as a seasoned gawker of Stick.com I could usually find what I was looking for because I've spent a lot of time on the website and knew exactly what could be found there, but a new comer to the instrument, who may just know the instrument exists, would easily miss oodles of interesting info.

The new site may have some hiccups and definitely has room for improvement, but I do feel it's a step in the right direction. It's much more mobile friendly, and that's a big deal for a lot of people. Some people don't even own proper desktop or laptop computers anymore because a tablet/phone is all they really need.

One suggestion I have:

Capitalize all the subsections in the drop down memos.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I like the new website. 8-)

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

WerkSpace wrote:
I like the new website. 8-)

I second that emotion.

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AndyJPro wrote:
One suggestion I have:

Capitalize all the subsections in the drop down memos.
This really bothered me as well, but I took it as a stylistic choice (that I don't like.)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Gerald, the links are fixed, thanks!

As far as the subsections on the menus go, since many of them are trademarks, capitalization is an important way of distinguishing those. If all of the items were capitalized, then all of the trademarks would have to have ® and ™ symbols after them, which gets really clunky looking in a menu.

Again, all much appreciated..

Greg

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:11 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next