It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:33 pm

Robstafarian Returns 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Robstafarian Returns
After a bit more than eight months, I have returned from my self-imposed exile. The story of what happened in the meantime will have to wait, unfortunately, as I just spent 24 hours (yes, really) reading, skimming, or bookmarking damn near all of 957 threads which were updated since I last logged in (I skipped the Classifieds threads). I had no choice, practically, as there is only one chance to view what is new since your last login…I even timed my page loads to keep my session alive whilst I ate meals.

“Why bother,” you ask? I always made a point of getting a feel for what people wanted to discuss and what questions they had so as to have a context for whatever writing I would need to do, and I wanted to return with a similar understanding. I have to say, you people are wonderful. I wish I could have spared the time to watch the videos.

I really must cut this post short, however, as I have thus far been awake for 26½ hours—following four hours of interrupted sleep Saturday morning (4–8AM)…yeah, my news will include a brief update about my health.

Special Thanks to Emmett Chapman, Greg Howard, and Rob Martino for providing some of the soundtrack to my reading.

Last edited by Robstafarian on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:21 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Robstafarian Returns
Welcome back. You were missed.

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:30 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome back, Rob!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

So great to have you back.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Good to hear from you

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:33 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey, Welcome back Rob. :)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Cranky old bastid'. Get back in the Lounge where you belong.

K Rex

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Dooder!
Welcome back!

cheers,
Reynebeauz N. Yunikornz

Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post What Happened
My Invention
Many of you will recall that I decided to leave Stickist so I could focus on prototyping and testing the electric guitar circuit I invented four years ago. Said departure was necessary because my fatigue can completely destroy my train of thought for a few days at a time: when I got my head above water again, I needed my vague memories to be of my work—or at least subjects relevant to electric guitar.

After a couple of false starts, themselves consequences of my constant battle with fatigue, I was all set to assemble my prototype at the end of June. The day before assembly was to begin, I analyzed my wiring diagram one last time. I found a potentially fatal flaw. Further analysis throughout the week which followed led me to conclude that my invention requires a specialized component which I cannot afford to commission. Surprise, surprise: half a decade of life-destroying, mind-numbing fatigue has consequences.

I will remain vigilant, should a suitable component come to market, but my invention is deferred indefinitely: essentially dead. I am still making my peace with the realization that I will likely spend the rest of my life in poverty.

My Health
I recently celebrated the anniversary of my transition to a ketogenic diet. It has been successful in improving my energy, strength, and endurance—whilst reducing or eliminating various neurological symptoms; however, my autonomic problems (which are essentially undiagnosed autonomic neuropathy) remain such that the improvements are not consistent enough to change my life. This was particularly heartbreaking in mid-February, when my major symptoms returned with a vengeance the night before I planned to submit a job application.

The last ten months have shown me to be on a four month cycle: one good month followed by three bad months. This cycle appears to occur regardless of how well or how poorly I manage my symptoms. It is still the case that I may suddenly be unable to fulfill an obligation with no warning of any kind (as Gene and Russell can attest).

Political Aside
Because the kayfabe which passes for American politics was resoundingly reinforced, I am doomed to another four years of constant pain and quasirandom injuries.

My Music
Though I have continued to write music in my mind, mixing genres freely as the complexities of my life have dictated, I have not played any music. In fact, the abrupt death of my business plan led me to realize that I had not played guitar much at all in four years: all of my energy was needed to research electric guitar technology, patent law, business law, and business planning—you know, the stuff which seemed like it might actually get me out of poverty.

I recently planned to reset my guitar existence:
  1. Sell pretty much all of my gear.
  2. Pay off my invention-related debt.
  3. Get a guitar small enough to allow me to play with reduced risk of injury (e.g. 24″ scale length, 1⅝″ nut width).
  4. Commit myself to one year of Justin Guitar and Rocksmith 2014.
  5. Buy a rig conducive to what I actually play, rather than how I want to sound.

However, I could stretch said budget to buy an Alto Stick instead. I would prefer to try an Alto Stick prior to ordering, as I do not know whether the reduced size would eliminate my need for the Railboard's keel, though I may simply make do: the Stick is a lifelong challenge, regardless.

Brief Points
  • I still need to catch up on Free Hands Friday.
  • I crossed the 14,000 post mark on the guitar forum I use.
  • Rocket League has been my №1 for almost eight months to the day, though the borderline illegal fun is tempered by my spasticity—if you play, then we should talk. ;)
  • Regarding one of my other inventions from 2012…

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:25 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

glad your back Rob. sorry to hear you are still struggling, but happy you decided to join back in the discussions...

here's a great read:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... ot-caught/

I read a bunch about Silk Road and the various investigations and this story never seems to stop giving out incredible details...

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery