It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:12 pm

Houston Stick Seminar -- Any interest? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Houston Stick Seminar -- Any interest
I am happy to organize this, but there are probably a thousand things that need to be planned that I am not thinking of. Anyone out there with experience putting these types of things together, I'd love to talk to you!

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:12 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Houston Stick Seminar -- Any interest?
Hi
I'm a 1-year newbie based in Houston and would love to be involved., I can also potentially help with a venue-suggestion.... I am Director of Music at the British International School of Houston, and we have just opened a new campus in Katy. The Music Department is starting a curriculum collaboration with Juilliard and needless to say has been a significant selling point of the school. Depending on dates/times etc I would be happy to talk to leadership about using our facilities. I could also most likely get decent sized audiences for performances and/or workshops. I actually asked for 2 Sticks on my department budget this year and although I doubt they will be completed by then it could be a nice little taster for the kids to see players on the instrument......

There are positives for both sides of the fence. For the Stickists, a superb and brand new facility (500 seat auditorium, black box theatre, band room, 4 large spaces and 10 practice rooms with recording facilities, amps etc) for the school - an event that would be unlike anything any school has hosted in the area and if Steve A is coming........the presence of a world-leading instrumentalist. I am confident they would go for that!

Let me know your thoughts

Paul

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Really quite simple. Secure a space. Figure out modest fee. Collect money. Teacher does the rest. Figure 4-5 hours of instruction, hangin', Probably only need 6-8 participants
Steve

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Paul, would the school do some funding for a seminar, plus open to the public clinic and a concert?

Steve

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve

I would be very happy to ask. They are extremely keen to be different to any other school and offer unique experiences. If there is some clear benefit to the kids musically or otherwise, then they'll go for it.
Having had a year working on the instrument and developing a little technique, I was intending to start bringing it into classes and exposing it to my kids this year anyway, this potentially could be a excellent event to build on that.

Would it be possible to have a few Sticks available for 'taster sessions' for the kids do you think? That opportunity would be a real seller for SLT. The Head came to me at the end of term to ask me about my budget..... "what the hell is a Chapman Stick?" ...he left our conversation quite excited I think.

Weekends of Nov. 5th/6th, 12/13th, 19/20th are all possible on the school's calendar.
Any of the rooms would be free.

Paul

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:03 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

You guys are tempting me to visit my mother this November, Houston is my home town...

https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianBaggett306

Lap Bars: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/chapma ... -lap-bars/
TAGG Interface: https://brianbaggettwoodcraft.ca/tagg-interface/

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Paul Personal Message me.
chat tmw
Steve

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

You know, what Steve does is really interesting to all musicians; I bet you get a wicked good turnout! Good luck!

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:03 pm

I live in Central Louisiana, 3-4 hours away. I'm more than willing to make the drive to hang out with other Stickists as I am possibly the only one in the state. Steve A being there would be pure bonus!

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Let's do Sat November 5th.

I'm more than happy to help pay for this. PM me financial details.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:53 pm