It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:02 pm

cool techniques? 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post cool techniques?
So in my practice sessions, I'm always looking to expand and explore new technique concepts on The Stick. Not electronics, strictly from the fingers only.
Does anyone here have any useful new discoveries that they could share?

Steve

Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:38 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: cool techniques?
I'm new to the Stick, but one thing that I like to do is to walk down the neck on the heaviest bass string from the deepest note to the highest, then walk back up the neck on the next highest string. (my fingers are two frets apart, index finger, then ring finger, shift to the next fret, index finger, then ring finger, and so on.) It sounds pretty cool... BTW - I do this without crossing over. i.e. I play bass with my melody (R) hand. I use my left hand to follow along upstream, dampening the string, to minimize any fret buzzing. Usually there's none, but it depends on how hard you hit those big bass strings.

Another thing that I like to do, is to strike two or more strings with the same finger when playing notes. It adds an extra voicing, to what I am playing.
Lee Vatip wrote:
So in my practice sessions, I'm always looking to expand and explore new technique concepts on The Stick. Not electronics, strictly from the fingers only.
Does anyone here have any useful new discoveries that they could share?

Steve

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Maybe not so new, but for me the percussive elements of playing are becoming an important part of my sound as it develops, mainly on the bass side. Beyond notes this can add a drive and rhythmic pulse that I am really starting to enjoy and do more spontaneously, and there are several ways to achieve this I find, either with the thumb or R hand fingers, sequentially the two can be a little more fluid than just using one or the other, or target different strings. All good clean fun. But I think there is much more to find yet.
With the killer virus having left me :cry: we'll Catch up for more in the near future. :ugeek:

Last edited by piratebruce on Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Umm, super fast hyper speed picking? Lol I do this a lot on my six string "Stick"...

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

We're waiting for "Eruption " on Your Grand Scott :D

Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

When listening closely to strumming patterns on a guitar, you can hear how a down pick stroke(or strum) subtly differs from an up stroke. When we quickly arpeggiate a chord on the bass or melody side(but I notice this more on the bass side), this high to low or low to high note "strumming" is not normally present.

For a period of several days I really tried to emulate this sound and could do it at slower tempos, but not middle or faster speeds. And then I was distracted by something shiny and neglected to keep after it till I mastered it. I think it could be a cool technique, and maybe we should call it "kemping" when I finally get it perfected :lol: ! The coordination going, for example, from index(root)-middle(fifth)-ring or pinky(tenth) and back down in opposite order can make you sour up your face like you just popped a "sourhead" in your mouth. Think strumming an acoustic guitar or mandolin down down up up down up down down or something like that and imagine arranging arpeggios that way. Headache city at first, but I bet one could get fairly adept at it with repetition.

I wish I had more time now to record and demonstrate what I am talking about. But this is something I think would make the Stick interesting when functioning as a more of a rhythm guitar role in a group.

Mike

Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Ok. I decided to make a little time to show what I am talking about, though very roughly. I don't know if this makes anything clearer or not. Especially since I chose a different strum pattern than I used above as an example. Though I don't make it look so here, I still think it could be cool someday!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25o7hSVzmqk[/youtube]

Mike

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Good one Mike. The concept will come alive. That's why I stated posed question. Exploration for eventual ultimate expressive output

SA

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hmmn, to me just learning how to play the Effin' thing is the most innovative thing I can muster now. Lol

Tuck Andress was a guy who blew my mind, then Steve introduced me to Ben Lacey...
As mentioned above, the percussive element makes the music played on Stick so cool...

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:11 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Hmmn, to me just learning how to play the Effin' thing is the most innovative thing I can muster now. Lol

Tuck Andress was a guy who blew my mind, then Steve introduced me to Ben Lacey...
As mentioned above, the percussive element makes the music played on Stick so cool...

sorry for the stick method hijack........Lacy is a cat I've been watching for quite some time. I really dig players/bands that do things differently....that how progress is made.,....not only in music, but in all aspects of life.

Bens influence on players is going to push them to blossom and expand their own envelopes.....Andy Mckee is another cat that is pushing boundaries as well..

cheers,
k

Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery