It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:59 am

getting serious about playing 

Post getting serious about playing
Hi everybody!

Trying to keep it short(so many things I'd like to write about according to this):

I have now had the Stick for 2 years. I have a guitar and saxophone background.I love the Stick.

Last autumn, in Stick Camp Mallorca(Best days of year 2015); I realized -speaking with fellow musicians - "I could do that"- and -"I want to do just that" and now it's time to do something about it...->

So..I'm about to quit my job in a month(I don't like my job at all) and want seriously concentrate on playing the Stick. Big decision for me and continuous salary stops but. The more I've thought about it; the more I want to do it.

I have always told to people that you should do or at least try to do(for living) something you love or like in your life.
IF you have ANY chances to-.
For nine out of ten I know there's family issues, loan issues, fear to change/get another job etc. But too many friends just do what they have used to do and gets used to it, you know.

I believe being a Stickist musician is the [superlatives here] thing I can ever imagine of.
And I'm about to practice with all-in -attitude to find out what the future may reveal.
I believe anyone can manage[whatever you do] if you are serious enough and have the passion to execute.

I'm very excited to hear your feedback, and I also need your encouragement :)

Polycarbonate #2718 Stickup
Rosewood Grand #1703 ACTV-2

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: getting serious about playing
I remember you as a very good musician, with a strong sense of listening and you were able to analyze the chops you weren't yet able to play ,so I don't worry too much about your goal. You will achieve it for sure. Moreover (and it echoes a private conversation I just had with Jan Hellman today) life is too short, so... . go, Kalle, go!!! 8-)

To quote Jan, who was quoting Warren Zevon : "Enjoy Every Sandwich" (I liked this quote)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

This feels the same as starting your own business: going it alone. Entrepreneurs say that human beings are addicted to "carbohydrates and pay cheques". The risk of irregular income is the main reason why so many people don't try doing their own thing. Perhaps reach out to Andy Salvanos who took the leap about 10 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

=//====> #1817 10-string padauk/paua ACTV2 EMG flaps+rails
Deep Baritone Melody inner 10 strings of Matched Reciprocal 12
Stand-up Stick Stand (SUSS) - easy DIY project

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Kalle
Just do it.
Some 16 years or so ago I walked out of a big company position and taught audio tech at a uni as a part time teacher and started a small recording studio. did both for nearly a decade, dont regret a second , best time I ever had even if I might have been in the corner office on the top floor now.
Keep looking forward , and with the event I think Bruno & Jan are referring to , Life is indeed short, and you never know what can happen tomorrow.

Get moving ! You'll find a way .
Cheers , hope you are well and I hope to see you all in Europe again one day .
Bruce .

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I believe that you will find your way.
If it doesn't work out,
there's always another job somewhere.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hey Kalle.
I like the size of your balls (metaphorically speaking) but how will you pay the bills? You asked for input....so this is mine.
Don't quit your day job, you require a solid plan to a leave job.....and being a Stick player at a year two level will most likely not provide you with the cash you need to survive in 2016.
I predict (I could be wrong) that you will no longer be able to afford a place to live, which infers that you will be hosted by friends and family....who will quickly tire of "the dude who crashes on the couch."
You won't have any benefits (dental, short term disability,etc) to carry you if shit goes sideways. The car you may own will have its water pump go next month and that will cost 600 to replace, the canned tuna is gonna get spoiled 'cause you can't refrigerate it......etc....

Dude....unless you are independently wealthy.....take a serious look at what you are about to do.

I don't want to shit on your rainbow, because what you are saying is exactly what I'd like to do with my life.....but then, the reality of my situation kicks in.....

Cheers, and good luck friend,
Kev

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What Kevin said.... car breaks... can't pay your rent... etc.... what is the first to go... well maybe selling the Stick (heaven forbid). I applaud you, however, you can accomplish your goals by keeping your job, pay for some intense lessons with Greg Howard and/or Steve A or any of the other fine teachers on this forum.... Whatever you decide, may you have great success!

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Thx for feedback, dudes!

Bruno, you're so right. Life is short and years go by. And Bruce; yeah same thing for me, I don't care about positions in a company. Good to hear about your teaching- and studio-decade!
And Kevin, No i don't have any money :D but I think I can survive with part time jobs in company I now work for to pay the rent and car bills.I should have pointed that earlier. Otherwise I would be in trouble very quickly :shock:

So have to find a balance and try to get more and more gigs all the time.
Time will tell if there is the day when the calendar is full. Have to try!

Polycarbonate #2718 Stickup
Rosewood Grand #1703 ACTV-2

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Are you a Finn? If so you may have those 800 euros coming in a few years, which would be great. It seems to me that the Finnish culture is amazingly well suited for this type of endeavor.

I wish you the best. What is your artistic vision? What type of music will you pursue? Solo or ensemble?

Brett

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

if you can afford it-go for it Kalle

i wish i could do it :)

Although i own the stick for many years-the Mallorca ecperience surely did it for me and i practice the stick almost on a daily basis

Boaz

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:16 am