It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 am

String Gauge Calculator 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: String Gauge Calculator
greg wrote:
Just my experience and Emmett's R&D...

I'm sure you (& Grace, and the rest of the SE team) know best, and I fully accept that SE strings are always going to be the ideal.

However, on occasions practicalities may well mean that a supply that can be had within a few days is an attractive, even if inferior, substitute (temporary or otherwise).

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:57 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I prefer the NewTone strings on my 1978 vintage #404 Stick.
They have better tone than the strings that I received from SE.

The SE vintage Stick strings ended up on my Railboard. They sound great on the Railboard. I almost sold the Railboard several times, because I couldn't get that tone. Tone is everything. If something doesn't sound right, I simply stop playing. When I feel the right tone, I can play for hours and hours.

The big game changer was when I bought the Line 6 Helix Floor. It does everything that I could ever possibly want in the way of effects. I'm very happy with my setup and I play every day. Emmett has designed a very, very cool instrument.

If I hadn't heard Michael Kollwitz playing at the Banyan Tree park in Lahaina, Maui. my life would have taken a much different path.

DavidWS wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:
I've noticed that you can use a heavier wirewound string, (.018w)
instead of a plain string to get almost the same tension. (.016p)
It might be worth testing out each one, to see the difference in tone.

When I received my Newtone strings from the UK for #404, there was one wirewound string that had a tone that really annoyed me. Someone on this forum suggested replacing it with a plain string and it did the trick. I now have a perfect set of strings for the tones that I prefer.

Hi. This is an old topic but may I check on my understanding?

Since you have such an early Stick, I think you're effectively saying that the Newtone 10 string set is an equivalent to 'light gauge classic'?

Also, that you've tweaked your set to use a .016p in place of the .018w that is standard in the Newtone 10 string set?

Do I have that correct?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
greg wrote:
Just my experience and Emmett's R&D...

I'm sure you (& Grace, and the rest of the SE team) know best, and I fully accept that SE strings are always going to be the ideal.

However, on occasions practicalities may well mean that a supply that can be had within a few days is an attractive, even if inferior, substitute (temporary or otherwise).

No worries, I was only commenting on the .016 as a melody string. When you get up above fret 14 or so, it just won't sound good, IMO.

So a .015 would be better. Get what works for you, but check it out. We play 34-36" scale instruments, so there is a balance in the strings. Finding something that sounds great all the way up and down the string is tough to do. Also, many strings are not long enough to cover the nut of a 36" scale instrument before the winding wrap starts.

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Purely out of interest, and because this will apply to David's vintage instrument, the gauges (in thousands of an inch) listed in Free Hands are:

Melody: 0.008, 0.009, 0.011, 0.014, 0.022w
Bass: 0.101w, 0.065w, 0.040w, 0.022w, 0.013

I'm assuming this would be, or would closely approximate, Classic Light. I can't speak for any non-SE strings as I've never tried them yet.

Regards

AxS

Rosewood Grand #1496, Matched Reciprocal

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes"

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
No worries, I was only commenting on the .016 as a melody string. When you get up above fret 14 or so, it just won't sound good, IMO.

So a .015 would be better. Get what works for you, but check it out.

Ah. I see. Great tip. If I end up trying a set from Newton I'll add that variation in too. It would be a only small addition to the cost to include both options, and doing so would give extra dimension to the possibilities to try out & with which to expand my 'education'. :)

Ah. Arcodath's post has just arrived as I was writing my reply. That's a very useful addition as I don't have a copy of Free Hands yet.
Maybe Newtone don't use D'Addario strings to build their sets & that affects their selection? If so, experimentation is probably the only way to find out. :)

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DavidWS wrote:
as I don't have a copy of Free Hands yet.

PS. When ordering a copy of The Stick Book (classic) and the CD a couple of days ago I asked if it might be possible to include the 'complimentary' copy of Free Hands that's part of my Railboard order in advance too. Time will tell...

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:57 pm