It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

Looking for free/low cost place to host my web pages. 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Looking for free/low cost place to host my web pages.
In a week my web pages
http://home.comcast.net/~rwkeating/stick/articles/
will be disappearing due to Comcast discontinuing that service (but they can still keep raising their rates ... I hate them.) Anyway, I have a bunch of Stick articles there going back to 1999 and ending with the article I did on the NS/Stick just this year.

Does anyone know of a good free (or very low cost) place for me to host these and future articles? I would like something without any adds or other crap. I am torn between just saying screw it an letting my pages disappear, but I am sure that in the future I would regret that when I have no "permanent" place that I control where I can put things to share with people.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Post Re: Looking for free/low cost place to host my web pages.
I don't have a lot of experience with personal blogs and such, but you could definitely try https://wordpress.com/. They'll host the blog for you, and you can either use a subdomain (e.g., russell.wordpress.com) or even pick your own domain name (e.g., russell.com) for a fee. They also have advanced features for a fee.

I created one, just for fun, and it seems to be working... I might even start posting my stuff there: https://stickpdx.wordpress.com/

(Edited to clarify that certain features may have an associated cost)

Black Railboard #6760, black and gold tuners, aqua inlays

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you can feed me the necessary files, then I will host them for you on my server while you figure the rest out. I think I can even set it up such that you have access to the folder for manual updates.

We can discuss a better solution, including hosting plans you might like, any time thereafter.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:49 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Russell,
You might want to consider just a "repository" as oppossed to an active web page that you woul d have to maintain, and pay GoDaddy or someone for the domain name, and that is Dropbox.

You could store the articles as doc.x which is now readable by Mac and PC alike, and documents tend to not be too hefty in the memory capacity, so you would probably be way under their FREE services.

Then you could either make them public for the world to download or whenever you post an article in Stickst or Sexy NS Stick Player ( I am starting it with Larry Flint) :D , you could give an access link to JUST those articles.

I have succssfully used this service specifically for photos which take up a lot of digital space and it has worked fine.

As a Caveat, some people, Illumminati conspirasts and who said they were abducted into a UFO by a YETI, are leery about downloading a virus from these drop sites. It's your files, and if they are "clean" when they go up they'll be clean when they go down.

junkfood for thought,
Dave B "DBro"

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:20 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

dbrosky wrote:
You might want to consider just a "repository" as oppossed to an active web page that you woul d have to maintain, and pay GoDaddy or someone for the domain name, and that is Dropbox.

Do not use GoDaddy.
dbrosky wrote:
You could store the articles as doc.x which is now readable by Mac and PC alike, and documents tend to not be too hefty in the memory capacity, so you would probably be way under their FREE services.

Use an open file format, such as OpenDocument, rather than a proprietary format.
dbrosky wrote:
Then you could either make them public for the world to download or whenever you post an article in Stickst or Sexy NS Stick Player ( I am starting it with Larry Flint) :D , you could give an access link to JUST those articles.

You could do this with web pages as well, not to mention that web pages can be viewed any number of ways, and the pages themselves can include download links for the files.

As I said, I would be glad to provide you with a stop-gap solution so that you have plenty of time to weigh your options.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks for all the advice. Rob, thanks for the offer. I think I'll just keep stuff on Google Drive or Drop Box and just to point to it when I post about it. I guess I don't really need a web page. It is just a shame to see it go away. I have a good Google ranking since it has been around so long. Hate to loose that (not that I'm doing anything with it, but still ...)

Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:49 pm